Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bessara or Middle Eastern Split Pea Soup


I can’t tell you how many times I have stared at the bins of split peas longingly in my favorite bulk sections. They are easily stored and a great bargain for the nutrition they provide. I just didn’t have any recipes.

The first time, I bought split peas, I tried cooking a couple of cups in my slow cooker. I had no idea how to season them. I ended up with a crock-pot full of mushy, tasteless peas. Needless to say, those didn’t stick around. That was the end of my split pea buying sprees.

Now, my cupboards and shelves of are full of different varieties of legumes and peas. Z. and I enjoy red lentils, mung dal, and yellow split peas, just to name a few. I decided to take the plunge with green split peas. I bought a pound, figuring I would be more inclined to figure out something tasty to do with these things if I owned them.

I don’t like ham unless it’s cured and has an Italian name so traditional split pea soup is out of the question. I did a little more research and discovered bessara. 



Here are the reasons why you should try my variation of bessara:
  • It tastes great! The earthy peas are balanced by smoky paprika and fragrant cumin.
  • This isn’t a heavy, gloppy soup despite. I find the bessara has a pleasant, silky texture.
  • It’s easy to make. I cook and create a lot of fussy recipes. This is not one of them.
Enjoy!

Bessara or Middle Eastern Green Split Pea Soup

by Ace Nation
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for garnish
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Serrano chile, seeds removed and minced
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, plus more for garnish
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 8-10 cups broth, stock, water, or a combination
Instructions
Heat oil over medium heat.
Add onion, cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic and Serrano, cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is cooked, about 5 minutes.
Add cumin and smoked paprika. Toast about 1 minute.
Add broth/water and split peas. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and falling apart.
The soup may served as is. If you would like a smoother soup, carefully blend the soup with an immersion blender or a stand-up blender. If soup is too thick, add a small amount of water or broth, about 1/8 cup at a time, until soup is desired consistency.
Serve soup garnished with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled with smoked paprika.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


No comments:

Post a Comment