Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ensalada de Remolacha: Cuban Beet Salad


 Here is my attempt at creating one of my favorite dishes from one of the best restaurants on the planet: Pambiche in Portland. Z. and I always get primera vuelta, which is a great way to try many several different dishes without a huge commitment. You have a choice of an empanada, croquetas, or frituras which is served with tostones, fried green plantains. The third dish, and for me, the pièce de résistance is the salad. Like Z., you can order their organic cabbage salad, or a chayote salad, or you can have good taste, and try Pambiche's organic beet salad, ensalada de remolacha. 

 
I have no idea what Pambiche uses in their ensalada de remolacha but I do know there are beets, watercress, extra-virgin olive oil, and a sour orange vinaigrette. Simple, light and fresh are the keys to the success of this salad. I created a dish that emulated Pambiche's salad. I think I came pretty darn close. Enjoy!

*The key to the sour orange flavor is one part tart/sour to two parts orange juice. I used white balsamic because I love the flavor of orange and the balsamic but lemon juice or lime juice would be great alternatives.


Ensalada de Remolacha or Cuban Beet Salad

by Ace Nation
Ingredients
  • 2-3 large beets or 5-6 small beets
  • 1/2 bunch parsley
  • zest and juice of 1 orange
  • 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
  • Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
To prepare the beets
Clean and wash beets. Bring a pot of water to a simmer. Add beets. Cook until a knife can be inserted easily, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and allow to cool. Trim the shoots and root end off. The skin should peel off easily. Carefully, with a small knife, trim off any remaining skin.
For the salad
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with kosher salt. Allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe! Just tonight went to Pambiche and immediately upon getting home I searched this beet salad recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I had this salad today at Pambiche and came to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. We no longer live in Portland and we always loved this salad.
    I have to agree with you, Pambiche is one of the best restaurants ever.

    ReplyDelete