Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Recipe Review: Spoon Bread

Source: Vegetarian Times, 11/2007

I have a spiral notebook where I keep copies of recipes that I would really like to try. I am slowly making my way through them. This recipe of Spoon Bread has been in my notebook for quite some time, even before my new-found fascination with cornmeal.

I do not have much to share except that I quite liked this dish and will be making it again. The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of salt. That is too much for my taste; 1/2 teaspoon is about right for me. I made a substitution with the milk. The recipe calls for 1 cup of milk, a reasonable amount, even in my cheap book. I do not have any milk and it is just too expensive right now for me to buy it but I do always have half-and-half for my coffee in the fridge. Since the milk was going to be baked, anyway, I used 1/4 cup half-and-half and 3/4 cup of water. This seemed to work just fine for me.
Cornmeal
From top left clockwise: eggs, butter, salt, and baking powder
Half-and-half and water combination
Milk and egg mixture
Cooling cornmeal and baking powder
Ready for the oven!
Yum! Loved the smell of this baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment