Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Dinner for One: Polenta Loaf

I undertook another ingredient adventure with a very common ingredient that I really had not worked with before: cornmeal. Besides this recipe, I have a couple more cornmeal recipes I would like to try. After all, one of the reasons a frugal pantry works is that there are several different dishes you can make from one ingredient. I will dutifully report the results.

Technically, I do not know if what I made was polenta but I am sticking with the name Polenta Loaf. The only alternative I could come up with, Cornmeal Log, does not sound very appetizing. Polenta Loaf it is!

When trying an ingredient for the first time, I like to buy just what I need from the bulk section, if possible. I know in come cases, the price per ounce will be higher but that is made up for by spending exactly what I want and I am not stuck with food that I may not like. For this recipe, I bought a little over a cup of cornmeal from the Market of Choice for $0.80. One cup of cornmeal filled a whole loaf pan! That is a lot of food for $0.80.
The cornmeal I purchased may have been instant cornmeal (if that is a real thing) or my cooking method could have affected how my cornmeal cooked. I just do not know. I brought 3 cups water with a pinch of salt to a boil in a large saucepan. While waiting for the water to boil, I combined one cup cornmeal with one cup water in a bowl. When the water was boiling, I poured in the cornmeal-water mixture, stirred with a wooden spoon until completely smooth, and it was done. The only work I had left was pouring the cooked cornmeal into a greased loaf pan and wait for it to cool. That quick cooking time may be worth $1.59 per pound.
I saved this ingredient adventure for a night when I knew Z. was working, like this recipe. I have been extolling the possibilities of polenta loaf for ages. If it did not turn out, I did not want to give Z. the opportunity to make fun of me for it. I also forgot that he would be working late two nights in a row combined with not knowing how voluminous cornmeal could be, I made too much. I should have used 1/2 cup cornmeal and 2 cups water.

Tomorrow, I will post my adventures with Polenta Loaf leftovers. After having Polenta Loaf for three days in a row, I tried a couple of variations myself. Enjoy!
Polenta Loaf topped with marinara sauce with red beans

Polenta Loaf

4 cups water
1 cup cornmeal
pinch of salt 
cooking spray for loaf pan
  1. Prepare polenta or cornmeal according to package directions.
  2. Once cooked, pour polenta into a greased loaf pan and allow to cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator until firm. 
  3. Remove polenta loaf from pan. Cut into desired thickness. A thicker slice will by crusty on the outside and creamy in the middle once cooked while a thinner slice will be more firm once cooked.
  4. Heat 1-2 tablespoons canola oil in a non-stick skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place polenta slices into how pan and do not move. Allow to cook until golden. This make take 10-12 minutes for the first side.
  5. Once the first side is golden, carefully flip over and cook until second side is golden.
  6. Serve with toppings of your choice.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment