Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dinner for One: Black Bean Salad

My black bean salad is another recipe suggestion. All the veggies that I love in salads were on sale this last week so I made it twice! When deciding what vegetables or fruit to put in a salad, besides price and flavor, I think about texture the most. I want several different types of crunchy or firm vegetables in my salad and only one item is on the softer side, like tomatoes, or in this case mango. Salads like this taste awesome on their own but I make a meal out of it by combining it with one of my favorite grains like millet, bulgur, or couscous (not a grain I know, but it was what I had last night with my salad). Here is the recipe for the salad I made this week. Enjoy!

Black Bean Salad

2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained thoroughly
1/2 cucumber, diced
1/2 mango, diced
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/2 red onion, diced
1/3 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced finely
2-3 garlic cloves, mined finely or grated
kosher salt
red chili flakes, optional
  1. Combine vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mixing bowl. 
  2. Mix vegetables and fruit with dressing and seasoning liberally with salt. Taste to adjust seasonings. If you like, season with black pepper and red chili flakes if you like things spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment