After making my Root Vegetable and Quinoa Soup I had become mildly obsessed with having quinoa in soup again. Not only do I really like quinoa in soup, quinoa does not take that long to cook, I have only needed 15-20 minutes of cooking time for my quinoa. I made this soup for a quick weekend lunch for myself. I called it Super Soup because I made a point to use all ingredients that are known for their nutritional power and their healing properties. Enjoy!
Ace's Super Soup
1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Fresno chili or 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1 small yam, about 1 cup, peeled and chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
6-8 cups water
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low to medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with kosher salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili, and yam. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices, toast about 30 seconds.
- Add water and quinoa, cook until quinoa is tender and you can its tails, about 20 minutes.
- Add spinach, stir, and heat until warm. Season with salt and cayenne to taste, if desired.