Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Black Bean-Coconut Bisque


This soup was inspired by a bowl of black bean and coconut soup the very first time I ever went to Nearly Normal's. I have not stopped thinking about this soup and finally took the plunge at trying to recreate the delicious soup. I had no idea what was in Nearly Normal's bowl of soup so I did my best at trying remake that soup. I succeeded!!!

Before I share the recipe for my Black Bean-Coconut Bisque, let me share one of my favorite memories of Nearly Normal's. I had been living in Corvallis a few months when my sister came out to visit me. For her last supper in Corvallis, I wanted to take her somewhere that was like nothing she could get in the Old Country (or Wyoming as everyone else says). I thought immediately of Nearly Normal's. Yes, it would get her out of her comfort zone (there are no dead animals on the menu) but some of the  food came in reasonably familiar shapes like burritos and (veggie) burgers.

I think my sister was immediately concerned. The sign proclaiming the restaurant's name, the only clue to the undiscerning eye that the modest two-story house we had just walked up to was indeed a restaurant. Once inside the entry way, a few boards share the daily specials or you can grab a menu, where you then walk up to the dark, wooden counter, place your order, and pay your bill. There is none of the usual bright, shiny gimmicks my sister was so used to. We could have had a seat at one of the few tables around the corner (don't run into the tree that's growing there) or upstairs where there is a lot more seating. Nearly Normal's is a favorite summertime hangout for us when we sit outside in the back shaded by lush tree branches and vines. My sister failed to see any of this. She was too distracted trying to decipher the menu. What in the world is tempeh?

While pondering my menu and future menu I mentioned the delicious falafel, great soup, fresh salads, cookies(!), and one of my favorites, Carey's Greek which is a nutty rice pilaf folded in a tortilla topped with some veggies and tzadziki sauce. Not getting much of a response I looked over at my sister. I could see her features become much more concerned the farther down the menu her eyes moved. I felt bad and wanted her to enjoy her last evening in Corvallis so I suggested we go get a burrito at a nearby chain restaurant. I didn't know which to laugh at first: the look of complete relief or how fast she ran out the door.  Well, I didn't have Nearly Normal's that evening but I felt like I was there again on my very first visit with this bowl of soup. Enjoy!

Black Bean-Coconut Bisque, serves 6

2  1/2 cups dried black beans, picked over, and soaked overnight
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed, minced
3-4 carrots, chopped
1 14 ounce can light coconut milk
8-10 cups water/vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
2 teaspoons harissa paste or red pepper flakes to taste
Lime wedges, garnish
Chopped cilantro, garnish
  1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
  2. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. A little color will not hurt.
  3. Add garlic, jalapeno, and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, 5-7 minutes.
  4. With water/vegetable stock nearby, add turmeric, curry powder, cumin powder, and harissa to the pot. Cook about 1 minute, toasting the spices.
  5. Add water/stock and beans. Bring soup to a boil, lower the heat, and let simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Stir the soup occasionally.
  6. Let soup cool enough to blend in a food processor or blender safely. In batches, using a slotted spoon, transfer the bean and vegetable mixture into the food processor or blender, saving the leftover broth. Add enough coconut milk or broth to process. Transfer to a clean pot to reheat for serving. Continue with all the beans and vegetables. Add the remaining coconut milk to the now pureed soup and thin with the reserved cooking liquid to the desired consistency.
  7. Serve with chopped cilantro and lime wedges for juicing, if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment