Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Latin-Inspired Pasta Sauce


Two staples of my pantry are dried pasta and canned beans. While I have made a couple of recipes using the two, I feel I have not been taking full advantage of the combination. I have also mostly stuck to using white beans when mixing beans and pasta. I want to expand my arsenal of pasta recipes to include other types of beans.

Ingredients for Latin-Inspired Pasta Sauce

I did an internet search for some ideas. I found this recipe. The basic idea and flavors appealed to me; I knew I could easily adjust the recipe to fit my taste and pantry. I had never thought of combining Latin flavors and pasta. I really enjoyed this meal! If pinched for time or already have salsa on hand, it can make a great flavor short-cut. I created the same flavor with a can of tomatoes and some fresh ingredients. A little chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime really made this come together. Enjoy!

Latin-Inspired Pasta Sauce

1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1 15 ounce can read beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 small onion, diced finely
1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange preferred), chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons harisa (or your favorite chile paste or red pepper flakes, to taste)
Pasta for serving
Chopped cilantro and lime wedges for garnish
  1. In a large sauce pan, begin heating canola oil over medium-low to medium heat.
  2. Add onion and cook until soft and just beginning to turn brown, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno, stirring occasionally, cook until garlic is tender, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, and harisa. Stir and toast, about 30 seconds.
  5. Add tomatoes and beans. Stir and lower heat to medium-low. Let simmer gently for 15 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
  7. Serve sauce with pasta of choice, garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment