Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ace's Super Soup


After making my Root Vegetable and Quinoa Soup I had become mildly obsessed with having quinoa in soup again. Not only do I really like quinoa in soup, quinoa does not take that long to cook, I have only needed 15-20 minutes of cooking time for my quinoa. I made this soup for a quick weekend lunch for myself. I called it Super Soup because I made a point to use all ingredients that are known for their nutritional power and their healing properties. Enjoy!


Ace's Super Soup

1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Fresno chili or 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
1 small yam, about 1 cup, peeled and chopped
 2 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
6-8 cups water
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
  1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low to medium heat.
  2. Add the onion, season with kosher salt, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add garlic, chili, and yam. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add spices, toast about 30 seconds.
  5. Add water and quinoa, cook until quinoa is tender and you can its tails, about 20 minutes.
  6. Add spinach, stir, and heat until warm. Season with salt and cayenne to taste, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment