Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Another Lentil Salad


I know that I have two other lentil salad recipes:

Lentil Salad with Apples and Grapes

Warm Lentil Salad

and now I have a third - Lentil Salad with Broccoli and Asparagus. Lentils are quick-cooking, nutritious, tasty, and play well with others.

I have now made this particular salad twice now. The first time, I wanted a quick, Saturday-lunch, using just what I had on hand. When nothing sounds particularly appetizing, I have taken to eating a bowl of lentils. I remembered I had some lovely asparagus and broccoli (thank you, Market of Choice!) in the fridge, so I got a little more creative.

Well, the other night, I had the same conundrum: nothing sounded great and I did not want to make that much of an effort, so I turned to my trusty lentils. The mild, earthy flavor of the lentils goes great with these green vegetables.

The first time I used plain, ol' brown lentils. This time I wanted to show off my heirloom lentils.

Lentils with Broccoli and Asparagus*

Lentils
Extra virgin olive oil
Red onion, chopped
Broccoli, chopped **
Asparagus, cut in 1/2 pieces
Balsamic vinegar
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Kosher salt

  1. Cook lentils according to package directions, making sure they are not mushy. Set aside.
  2. Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan over medium-low to medium heat.
  3. Add red onion to pan, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
  4. Add asparagus and broccoli. Cook until just warm.
  5. Combine, vegetables, lentils, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Serve warm or chilled.

*I did not include amounts of ingredients because this can the amounts can be changed so easily.
**Don't forget to use the stems! I like to peel the outermost layer off.

No comments:

Post a Comment