Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Warm Lentil Salad: My Lentil Journey

My experience with lentils prior to college consisted of opening a can of lentil soup, and warming up the can's contents, most frequently in the microwave. I mention the microwave because I feel the need to point out I was too lazy to wash the dirty pan. Once I got to college, now responsible for buying my own groceries, I was on the prowl for ingredients that were healthy to start with, quick cooking, and could easily be carried home. I left my car back in Wyoming that first year and mainly walked to and from the grocery store. I left a household that had 1.3 vehicles per person and walking the dog was the only reasonable explanation for walking outsides (hiking while hunting is not walking, that is a spiritual experience). So plodding a few blocks, much of the time in precipitation, carrying some bags seemed like a whole lot of work. I was lazy, I know. I bet a shiny nickel that someone, I'm not going to say who but their name might start with a Z, will make a sarcastic remark later about how this is still true.

Obnoxious boyfriends aside, my family's dinners normally consisted of (still do) grilled steak, most often wild meat killed by my dad or younger sister, a form of potato or boxed flavored rice, and vegetables. This was not how I envisioned or desired to cook for myself. Lacking a computer at  home, or even the foresight to do some online research, I spent a lot of time wandering the nearby grocery store aisles looking for inspiration and ideas. Eventually, I had a rough outline of what the cheapest items were and how willing I was to eat those items. One of these ingredients was lentils. Lentils became a staple in my pantry.

My lentil adventures had humble origins: a pot of boiled lentils. In an effort to not be so boring, I figured out I like my lentils, still intact, with chunks of fresh tomato. I thought one day, since I enjoy tomatoes and balsamic so much, I might like my lentils and tomatoes tossed with some balsamic.Why, yes, the balsamic was enjoyable. Why not add a drizzle of olive oil and some salt? I thought I was onto something. While I enjoyed many bowls of lentils and fresh tomatoes with balsamic vinaigrette, this dish didn't pass the Sharing Test. While I was perfectly content to eat my concoction for an occasional meal, I would not serve it to anyone or share the recipe. I could do better. Since tomatoes were so good, wouldn't other vegetables be yummy, too? I know, duh, right? I found bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onion, and a touch of fresh garlic, in addition to the tomato and vinaigrette was my favorite combination. Now this I could share with others.

I began to get burnt out on my lentil salad. I started thinking about what was dampening my lentil salad enthusiasm. I needed a lentil salad when buying tomatoes, bell peppers, and cucumbers was not an option. If I couldn't get those vegetables, I would use extra carrot. All that raw carrot was getting boring. One day I decided to lightly saute my carrots, onion, and garlic as the lentils were finishing cooking. I combined the warm vegetables and warm lentils with the vinaigrette. It was great!

Since then, I have enjoyed Warm Lentil Salad many times thinking I was being clever. Well, I have read a lot since the first warm lentil forays and have discovered I'm not original at all. The French have been doing a warm lentil salad for quite some time. I came to a dish on my own that a great food culture had already figured out. I am okay with that.

P.S. Warm Lentil Salad is great on its own or can be served over rice for a more complete meal. Enjoy!

Ace's Warm Lentil Salad Ingredients

Diced vegetables
Vinaigrette waiting to be whisked. Trust me, if you combine them all at the same time, it will be thick and smooth.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

Sauteed vegetables  waiting to meet the love of their life: Balsamic Vinaigrette
Lunch: Ace's Warm Lentil Salad


Ace's Warm Lentil Salad
1 cup brown lentils
3 cups of water, enough to cover the lentils
1 carrot, diced
1/4 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic
1/2 tablespoon Dijon
salt
  1. To cook lentils: Bring water to a boil, add lentils, a pinch of salt, reduce heat, cover. Simmer until desired texture. I like a little of bite still left, which takes about 12 minutes of cooking. Drain well and set aside.
  2. While lentils are cooking, prepare vinaigrette. Place vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon, and about 1/8 tsp of salt (or to taste) in a bowl. Whisk until smooth and combined. Set aside.
  3. Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium or medium-low heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt. After onions have cooked for a minute or two, add carrots. Turn down heat if still at medium. Saute for another minute or two, add garlic. Saute until garlic is cooked..
  4. Combine lentils, vegetables, and vinaigrette. Adjust salt to taste and add pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Price Breakdown
 .39 lentils (.89/pound)
.08 carrot
.08 onion
.06 garlic
.23 olive oil (purchased on sale + coupons)
.21 vinegar
.03 Dijon (Trade Joe's brand)

Total: $1.08

No comments:

Post a Comment