Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Introduction

Welcome! This blog is something that my boyfriend Z and I have been brainstorming about for a very long time. We are just home cooks, who have figured out how to make tasty meals that cost next to nothing. We would like to share some of those recipes and tips for stocking your pantry for very little. We are serious about coupons and finding great deals but I think there are tons of great blogs out there, so I am going to leave the coupon deals to them.

What instigated me to finally start writing was the Hunger Challenge. I don't remember the first time I heard about the Hunger Challenge (eating for $4 a day, the amount the average California resident on food stamps gets to spend each day). I first learned about the Hunger Challenge while watching a news story highlighting the Hunger Challenge and following Oregon governor Ted Kulongoski shopping for groceries to eat on $4 a day. My first thought was, "$4! That's a lot of money. I do that without trying" and that was it. Lately, I have been reading more articles and posts about eating on a budget. One thing that keeps coming up is people's opinion that people on food stamps or small budgets eat and purchase more processed food (crap) because it is cheaper. I disagree! Z and I are certainly not angels when it comes to food. We enjoy indulging in a little junk food, occasionally, but try to keep it healthy, overall. I think we do a pretty good job of eating reasonably healthy on a budget. To get started, I decided to start keep track of what I was eating in a day without trying, just to see what how much it cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment