Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Cheap Tip Saturday 9/24


Cheap Tip: Make Your Own Popcorn

The popcorn in the bag, while convenient, is not matched by the cheap price and tastiness of bulk popcorn. Growing up I only knew the delight of microwaved popcorn. I was always slightly envious of my friends who had an air popper. The loud, hot air that could transform jumping kernels into fluffy puffs of popcorn seemed magical to me. Last year, Z. and I bought our first appliance together: an air popcorn maker. I got the cheapest model when it was on sale. Prior to this, $15 seemed like way too much money to spend on something that will perform only one task. Considering we can always get high-quality popcorn at the Market of Choice for $0.89/pound for conventional kernels and when on sale, $0.99/pound for organic kernels (definitely worth the extra money!). When a big bowl bowl of popcorn requires 1/4 cup of kernels, the $15 appliance is well worth the money.

All through college, before I had my precious popcorn popper, I made popcorn on the stove. I would heat a high-sided saucepan over medium heat with a tablespoon or two of canola oil. I would pour my popcorn kernels into the pot. I would place the lid on the pot and leave the stove, shaking the pan occasionally and much more frequently once the kernels start popping. I liked to pull the pan off the heat when there was only one or two kernels popping at a time and there was a pause between explosions. I would keep the lid on for another minute or two because I knew a stray kernel would pop. This popcorn had to be eaten right away due to the oil and would not make good leftovers.

Plain air-popped popcorn on the other hand does make a tasty snack later. Just remember to put it in an air-tight container when it is cool, unless of course, you enjoy stale popcorn.

Variations I enjoy:
  • Popcorn and Olive Oil. I love popcorn drizzled with extra virgin olive oil seasoned with some kosher salt. Paula Deen will be disappointed in me. I prefer olive oil to butter on my popcorn.
  • Popcorn with Rosemary Infused Olive Oil. Over the lowest heat, warm the amount of olive oil you plan on using, about 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add one tablespoon dried rosemary. There should be no sizzling; you are just gently warming the olive oil. Allow to steep for 10 or so minutes. Pour the olive oil and rosemary through a fine-mesh strainer, discard the rosemary, drizzle the infused olive oil over popped popcorn, and sprinkle kosher salt over the top. 
  • Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast.Nutritional yeast can be found in the bulk section of natural foods stores (or Winco, for that matter). I was introduced to this variation of popcorn by some Eugene-hippies that I was hanging out with. This recipe is all that I remember of them. Nutritional yeast sounds scary but is actually quite tasty with a nutty flavor that reminds me of Parmesan cheese. In fact, nutritional yeast is generally a featured ingredient in vegan cheese substitute recipes. If you are from Wyoming and reading this, please do not let all this talk of hippies and vegan foods deter you from trying nutritional yeast. The picture at the top is a delicious bowl of popcorn with olive oil and nutritional yeast. To enjoy nutritional yeast and popcorn I drizzle olive oil over my popcorn. Then, I add nutritional yeast and kosher salt to taste.
  • Ranch-a-Corn. This is not for everyone. Either you love the flavor of ranch or you do not. I, of course, do love ranch. To make this variety of popcorn, you will need powdered ranch dressing mix. For a big bowl of popcorn, made with about 1/4 cup kernels, you will need 1-2 tablespoons ranch mix. Take it from me, too much of the mix is not desired. It is way too easy to breathe the stuff in when trying to eat the popcorn.
  • Grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese. Need I say more?


No comments:

Post a Comment