Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Barley Risotto-Style


Barley was on of the first grains after brown rice I purchased when I moved out on my own because this grain was slightly familiar and CHEAP. Well, I did not have a clue what to do with barley and was discouraged by the long cooking time so most of that first package of barley eventually ended up in the garbage can.

This fall after many years of a barley-free pantry I decided to give barley another chance for several reasons. First, barley is still cheap, less than $1 a pound at all the stores in my area. The large, toothsome grain will be a nice alternative to some of my other favorite whole-grains. I know barley still requires an extended cooking time but many of my current favorite meals have a similar cooking time, time is not an issue.

I make my granola with a combination of oats, rye flakes, and barley flakes. Recently, I made a batch of granola with the ingredients I had on hand, which were oats and rye flakes. The granola was good but lacking. Then I made a batch with my three favorite grains. The barley flakes are delicious and I had missed their flavor. Realizing how delicious barley really is, I decided to give the kernels another chance.

I love taking a homely, pedestrian ingredient and applying more elegant or fussy techniques to it. I am only familiar with barley that has been thrown into the soup, adding a pleasant flavor but probably more as a filler. I chose risotto as my first barley recipe for good reason. I knew I could add lots of flavor to this humble member of the grass family.


Any number of vegetables could be used in Barley Risotto-Style. I would always include garlic and some other allium relative, such as shallot, leek, or onion. Shallots or leek are worth the extra cost in this instance. The nuances of their flavors come out in a dish like risotto where onion would be fine but could be overpowering.

If this dish were a side, I would probably not include the beans. This risotto was going to be my dinner so I wanted the protein. White beans would be traditional but I went with kidney beans. I think the kidney bean is under appreciated. Not only are kidney beans a good source of iron, the flesh of the bean becomes very creamy.


The other secret ingredient to Barley Risotto-Style is the white wine. The wine perfumes and flavors the barley with a flavorful brightness that citrus or vinegar cannot provide. I prefer sauvignon blanc for its crisp, bright flavor. In this case, I used a chardonnay I really enjoy that does not have the typical oaky-flavor of chardonnay. Enjoy!

Barley Risotto-Style

6-8 cups water, stock, or a combination
1 cup white wine
1 cup barley
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 leek, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
4 oz mushrooms
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Garnish **
  1. Place the water or stock in a small sauce pan, bring to a simmer, and keep warm.
  2. In another larger sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-low to medium heat. Add leek, carrot, and mushrooms, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft.
  3. Add barley and cook until aromatic, about 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add wine and cook until wine has been absorbed.
  5. Stir in 1 cup of water or stock at a time, stirring occasionally until the liquid is absorbed. 
  6. Once 4-5 cups of liquid has been added, add liquid 1/2 cup at a time, as needed, until the barley grains are cooked but still firm. The total cooking time may take around 45 minutes or longer.
** If you desire, garnish with freshly chopped parsley. If you would like a creamier risotto, add either 1 tablespoon butter, or 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese, or 1 tablespoon cream, or any combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment