Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Leftover Power: Turkey Croque Monsieur and Chickpea Salad


Leftovers: béchamel sauce and 1/2 can chickpeas


When I realized I would have some béchamel sauce left, I knew exactly what I wanted to with the sauce: Croque Monsieur. While I love cured pork products, I am not a big fan of ham, so I used turkey. This was a nice treat since I never buy deli meat.

The bread I used was Trader Joe's sourdough rye. This stuff is great! Just look at the color!

I had one-half can of chickpeas leftover and knew that was just the right amount for a salad. I was on my own for this part of the week so I didn't want to make something too big. This was just the right amount for dinner and a nice lunch.

A couple of tips about my melty sandwiches. Butter is a luxury in this home and we do not use margarine. I learned from  one of my favorite bloggers/cooks to use mayonnaise instead of butter for grilled cheese sandwiches. Just make sure to use a very thin layer. Works great! Another tip, use fairly low heat. This gives the cheese a chance to melt while the outside gets dark brown, crispy and not burnt. Enjoy!

Ready and waiting for the pan


Turkey Croque Monsieur

2 slices bread
2 slices turkey
1 slice Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons béchamel sauce
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
butter or mayonnaise to spread on the bread
  1. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
  2. Spread a thin layer of butter or mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread.
  3. On one non-buttered side, spread Dijon mustard and béchamel sauce. Layer turkey and cheese on top of this.
  4. Top with other slice of bread, buttered-side out.
  5. Place sandwich in pan. Let cook until bottom is browned, about 5 minutes.
  6. Turn sandwich over and cook other side until browned, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.



Chickpea Salad

1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 red onion, finely diced
2 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
1/3 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Red pepper flakes, to taste
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Season with kosher salt and red pepper flakes to taste. 
  2. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or more before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment