Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chunky Black Bean and Corn Soup

Time for another soup! This delicious soup was a gift from the pantry and freezer. There are always carrots, onions, and garlic in the refrigerator so I have come to consider those items a part of the pantry.  You can go crazy with the garnishes: avocado, fresh lime, cilantro (or parsley), sour cream, tortilla chips, plantains, and so on. Well, I am cheap and none of those things were in the refrigerator so I did without. I ate the soup plain for the first two days and by the third, a package of shredded cheese had migrated from the freezer to the refrigerator so I used a little and it was great.

This is one of those recipes that changes every time I make it. This time, the spices were the biggest change. I didn't want a Tex-Mex flavor but I still added some of the same spices. If you want to go that way, I would go a little heavier on the chile powder and especially the smoked paprika or add some adobo sauce. I added celery seed but I didn't notice it in the soup. The biggest surprises were the coriander seeds (I added whole coriander seeds but I would suggest ground) and ground turmeric. I loved them! The coriander added a floral lemony flavor that balanced the chile powders and cumin nicely. The turmeric added great depth and earthiness.

Here are some ideas for variations:
  • Add meat like ground beef or shredded chicken.
  • Adjust the vegetables to what is on sale (in-season) or on-hand. I have made this soup with canned tomatoes, which was a nice variation. I think squash or any dark greens like spinach or kale would also be great additions. Potatoes could add some more bulk.
  • Don't be afraid of canned or frozen vegetables. I will say it: I like canned corn. There, it is out in the open. At least Green Giant (that's all I have had in recent memory) is sweet and crunchy. I also used frozen bell peppers that we had frozen when peppers went on sale for $0.33 a pepper. Much cheaper than what I would be paying at the grocery store now.
  • Add a can or two of diced tomatoes.
  • Play with the spices and adjust to your taste.
  • Serve the soup with rice or a grain. Next time, I am going to try making this with The Pioneer Woman's Dumplings.
The recipe below is a suggestion or a springboard for your own ideas and creativity. Don't forget to toast your spices! It really does open up the flavors.

Left column: chile powder, red chile flakes, celery seed, coriander. Right column: smoked paprika, turmeric, dried Italian seasoning, cumin seed.



Chunky Black Bean and Corn Soup, serves 2 for a few meals

1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium to large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, diced
1-2 Serrano chiles, minced finely
1-2 carrots, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed or 3 1/2 cups cooked dried beans
1 can canned corn, drained and rinsed
1 can broth (more if you're not as cheap as I am) plus two or so cups of water, about 4 cups of liquid
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp red chile flakes, optional
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp dried Italian Seasoning or dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper

  1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes.
  2. Add garlic, Serrano, carrots, and bell peppers. Cook until carrots are just tender, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add beans, corn, and liquids. Lower heat. Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium-low heat. Add spices. Do not leave the spices! Toasting will only take a minute or so. When you can smell the spices, add them to the soup pot. Season liberally with salt and pepper. While it's simmer and before serving, check the seasoning again and add more salt if necessary.
  4. Simmer gently for 20-30 minutes. Serve with garnishes if desired

Price Breakdown
.10 onion (on sale last week for $0.33/pound)
.12 carrot (on sale last week for $0.33/pound)
.12 garlic
.06 Serrano chiles
.16 bell pepper
.60 black beans
.50 canned corn
.50 broth
.15 spices (estimate) We get our spices from either the bulk section at the Market of Choice or from the Indian market in town, which costs much less than buying a jar of spices from the grocery store.

Total: $2.31
 



    No comments:

    Post a Comment