Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dinner for One: Pasta with Anchovies and White Beans

Despite knowing a fair amount about food and ingredients, I am no foodie. I am not an adventurous eater by any stretch of the imagination; there are many, many things I have yet to taste. Until recently, besides hiding in Worcestershire sauce and Caesar dressing, I have not knowingly eaten anchovies. Trader Joe's has a nice selection of store-brand canned fish and seafood products at what I would consider reasonable prices. After many months pondering the idea of cooking my own meal with anchovies, I bit the bullet and bought a tin of anchovies and a tin of sardines that are still in my cupboard. And, I do mean I have thought about this for months. Instead of spending inordinate amounts of money eating out, I spend, for some what would be an inordinate amount of time, thinking about dishes and recipes I would like to make. I vicariously experience food by daydreaming about it. We all have strange habits; I am just publicly admitting to one of mine.

For my first home-cooked meal with anchovies, I wanted to make a dish that would feature the little fishies. A pasta dish seemed like a good fit. I do not have any explanation why, my guess is that it has something to do with watching hundreds of Rachael Ray's cooking shows over the years where she makes some sort of sauce with a few anchovy filets. My dish isn't that pretty, a little parsley would have spruced it up nicely. When I saw my meal on my plate, I was surprised. I promise I do not go out of my way to make beige or brown food. It just happens without me trying or thinking about it.
White Bean Dip
I have to admit, this experiment was only okay. I should have added a splash of lemon juice or a handful of chopped parsley. The sauce needs a fresh component. I still have the other half of the anchovies stored in the fridge so I can try another recipe. I only used half the can of beans in the pasta and made a white bean dip with the other half. The white bean dip was pleasant but I do not plan on making it again. I whizzed the beans in my Kitchen Ninja with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, like hummus. I just think white beans are too boring to be the star of a dish, unless it is white bean soup.




Pasta with Anchovies and White Beans, serves 2
olive oil
1 1/2 cups penne (or two servings of pasta of your choice)
4-5 anchovy filets
4 cloves garlic, minced finely
1/2 can white beans, rinsed and drained
red pepper flakes, to taste
salt and pepper
splash of lemon or some chopped parsley, optional
  1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile heat a 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet with sides high enough you will be able to toss the pasta in. Use some of the oil from the anchovies.
  3. Put anchovy filets in warm olive oil. Break up gently with a wooden spoon. They will break down.
  4. Add garlic. Season with salt and black pepper. Saute until cooked, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes.
  5. Add white beans and cook until just heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
  6. Before draining pasta keep 1/2 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain pasta and add to garlic/anchovy mixture. Mix thoroughly to coat pasta with mixture. Add a splash of pasta cooking water if needed.  If you have lemon juice or parsley, add now. Adjust salt and garnish with red pepper flakes and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment