Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Sincronizada Pacific Northwest-Style

My understanding of authentic Latin food is very limited but I have learned that one of the features that sets a sincronizada apart from a quesadilla is that a sincronizada uses two tortillas to sandwich tasty fillings. A quesadilla, on the other hand, features a tortilla folded in half. So, I decided to call my snack sincronizada.




I drew inspiration from the cheese sincronizadas that have seemed to become a staple the last couple of weeks thanks in part to a recent sale on shredded cheese to create a variation of one of life's simple joys: pear or apple slices topped with a piece of sharp cheddar. The creation of my Sincronizada Pacific Northwest-Style began just like many dinners, I sprinkled some cheddar cheese on a corn tortilla while a small skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray heated up over medium. Then, the process took a pleasant turn. I placed pear slices, about one-fourth of a pear, in a single layer over the cheese, sprinkled a tiny bit more cheese over the pears, and seasoned with freshly ground pepper and kosher salt. The salt and pepper really made the pear sincronizada special. Lastly, I topped the pears with a second tortilla, placing the delicious package in the warm pan. I toasted each side until the tortilla was slightly golden, a few minutes each side, very carefully flipping the sincronizada over. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Two things.
    One: The entire time I read this post I thought it said "Schizophrenia Pacific Northwest-Style"... Thought that was funny.
    Two: Don't these tortillas have to be cooked first? They look like the "raw" ones I see in the store that say you have to cook them before use

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a picture of the package of the corn tortillas we always use! When we make cheese sincronizadas we let them get lightly golden. The tortillas are cooked, they are just really pale (I think they might be white corn) and on camera they look a little washed out. Super cheap! We pay $2.18 for a package of 72. They are small so a meal includes several. But since they are corn tortillas they aren't made with lard like flour tortillas so I feel better about stuffing my chubby squirrel cheeks with them.

    ReplyDelete