Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

fruit crisp


I am on a mission to become a better cook and that sometimes mean experimenting and trying out new recipes. Even though I make some dumb mistakes sometimes (like over-baking cookies!), I still want to share what is going on in my little kitchen.

This is where Cobbler Attempt #1 comes in. When having guests over for dinner, I prefer to make a baked desert. One, this means I will not be eating a whole desert by myself and two, baked goods are warm and inviting. Z. and I had another couple over for dinner the other night. Z. made his super yummy yakisoba and I tried contributing an apple cobbler.

I think it is time to expand my horizons. I have made my fair share of fruit crisps but never a cobbler. The only difference I can tell between a cobbler and a crisp is the topping. Cobblers have more of a biscuit or pie-type crust and a crisp has a crumbly topping.

My first try at a cobbler turned out alright, I learned a few things about making a cobbler crust and encountered a few questions but first the recipe I used this time.

Apple Cobbler, adapted from The Cobbler Crusade by Irene Ritter

Filling (or the bottom layer):

2 to 3 apples, peeled and sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 cup warm water or apple juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon canola oil or butter cut into small pieces

Biscuit Crust:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour or a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil (if using oil, may need 1-2 tablespoons water) or 1/2 cup milk (suggested)
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9-inch square baking dish with non-stick spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Make sure apples are thoroughly coated. Pour apples into prepared baking dish. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup warm water or apple juice with 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. Pour into baking dish with apples.
  4. Drizzle oil over top of apples or scatter pieces of butter over apples. Set aside.
  5. In another large mixing bowl, combine all the crust ingredients until well mixed.
  6. Spoon dough on top of apple filling, covering the apples.
  7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until crust is done. Serve warm or room temperature.
Apples!
Filling ingredients minus cornstarch and water
Whole-wheat flour (left) and all-purpose flour (right)
The rest of the topping ingredients

Changes I will be making to Cobbler #2:
  • As I was eating my cobbler, I was pondering how nice thick slices of apple would have been. I realized when making a fruit crisp I have always cut my apples or pears very thin and peaches rather thickly to enjoy their succulent flesh. Why not cut thick slices of apple?
  • I used equal parts all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour. The recipe I was using told me to look for a golden topping but in my experience, whole-wheat flour does not change color the same way white flour does. I could have taken the cobbler out of the oven after 20 minutes and had a lovely and fully cooked beige topping. Alas, I second-guessed myself and left the cobbler in the oven for 4 more minutes. The crust was fine, just not as perfect as I would have liked but the next day, I did not notice the over-doneness at all when eating the leftovers.
  • The Cobbler Crusade said I could use 1/4 canola oil to bind the topping ingredients together. Great because I did not have milk! The mixture was very dry and not clumping so in a slight panic I added 1-2 tablespoons of water. I will have to investigate this further but I do know that the milk would help make a flakier crust. There are pros and cons to both.
  • I am a dork and made the crust completely even. When the recipe mentioned creating a cobblestone effect with the dough, I got a little lost. I have seen cobblers before and happily eaten them but are those separate islands of biscuit the cobblestone effect?
  • Any tips or suggestions to aid me in my own cobbler crusade?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment