Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Recipe Review: Fudgy Meringue Cookies

Source: Bon Appétit, March 2011 


Before I get to the results of this recipe, I have to share a little of my feelings towards baking cookies. Z.'s mom and grandma make two totally different chocolate chip cookies that are the best chocolate chips cookies in the whole world and on top of that, Z.'s grandma also makes an amazing plain cookie, her own invention, similar to a shortbread cookie. I have no hope and no desire to compete. Even if I learned how to make a cookie like these lovely ladies, my cookie would still not be good enough simply because my cookie was not made with their hands.The best my humble chocolate chip cookie could hope for would be, "These are alright, I guess... I am a connoisseur of the chocolate chip cookie, after all. What I know? I only have the best chocolate chip cookies at my disposal..." and on and on. I would never hear the end of how my cookies did not measure up to Z.'s cookie standards. Let's not mince works: Z. will be as obnoxious as possible in letting me know how my chocolate cookies have failed. If I want to bake cookies, I need to find and try new recipes that are not chocolate chip cookies.

The photograph of this cookie had me instantly hooked. Then, I read the recipe and it passed the Cheap Not Frugal Eats test: How much are the ingredients going to cost Z. and are the ingredients in the pantry? Hmmm...Pass!

Sometimes my cooking attempts at recipes fail, luckily they are still edible...most of the time. My first attempt at Fudgy Meringue Cookies is what I call a learning opportunity. I did almost everything wrong, just to be sure it made a real difference in the finished product. I should clarify. I really, really thought these cookies sounded great, I had the ingredients but I did not follow the directions exactly. Imagine that! The directions really mattered when baking.

Here is a rundown of the changes I made and the effects in the cookie:

  • The recipe calls for powdered sugar. I used regular, granulated sugar in its place. Chef Steph, Pastry Chef Extraordinaire, has told me that I can make my own powdered sugar in a food processor at home. I was being lazy and thought I would try granulated sugar. The granulated sugar was too heavy. Definitely use powdered sugar!
  • I only needed two large egg whites to make these cookies. I thought my eggs were large but once the two whites were in the bowl, it did not seem like much. At the time, I contemplated adding a third egg white. Next time, I might add a third egg white if it seems like my eggs are on the small side.I do not have an electric mixer so I used a whisk. I probably did not whisk the meringue enough nor reach the proper consistency. I will wait to make these cookies until I have an electric mixer.
  • I did not use the cream of tartar. I thought it would not be a big deal. I did a little more research and learned that cream of tartar helps stabilize egg whites, and increases their heat tolerance and volume. I do plan on trying this recipe again, it was so tasty. I should be able to purchase just a little from the bulk spice section at the Market of Choice. Even though it costs more, if I plan on using a small amount in one or two recipes, I like to get spices or additives from the bulk section.
  • I committed the ultimate cookie sin: I over-baked my cookies. I did follow the directions about the placement of the wire racks and switching the pans at the precise moment. The recipe says the cookies will be cracked and dry looking. My cookies were rather strange looking to begin with, once they were baking, I could not tell if they were done or not. I kept them in the oven a couple minutes too long.
I thought these cookies were very tasty and if I had the correct ingredients and equipment, this would have been a great recipe. I will be making this again when I can follow the directions exactly.

P.S. I may tease Z. incessantly and share some of his more charming moments but he makes me feel like the most special person in the whole wide world!

No comments:

Post a Comment