Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Coconut Curry


Yum! Yum! Yum! is pretty much all I have to say about my coconut curry. Okay, we all know that is not true. I may not always admit it but many of the recipes are actually Z.'s creation or he was the one who perfected the recipe. Not this one! Although, all my memories of making coconut curry do involve my dear boyfriend.  I have referred to this as my famous coconut curry. I like to pretend my recipe is famous. Well, I created a feast... okay, Z., myself, and my roommate at the time...for a celebratory I-am-graduating-from-college dinner with two of my grandparents and my parents. We served coconut curry, both vegetarian and with chicken, rice, naan, celery with cream cheese, and deviled eggs. I packed seven people into the middle of my apartment's living room and we ate off of a card table. My dad absolutely loved the curry! I could not have been prouder. Within the realm of steak and potatoes, my dad does experiment a lot with seasonings and will only make delicious food for himself.

When I was younger I would never consider going out to a restaurant and ordering a dish that was completely brand new to me; I could make the $10 to $12 that dinner would have cost stretch pretty far if I were only buying ingredients. So, I would do just that! If we are not talking about classical music or pretty I am, we are discussing food. There were a few dishes Z. had eaten in restaurants that he loved and kept talking about. I heard over and over how awesome coconut curry is. I had no idea what he was talking about so I did a little research, we purchased the ingredients, and made coconut curry together. My life would never be the same. Okay, I say that every three posts or so but it is true. Amazing food, particularly food made by your own hands, can really do be life changing. This coconut curry experiment changed my approach to cooking in several ways. This was the first time I ever used (and tasted) curry powder. Secondly, coconut had always been reserved for pie or piƱa colada flavored drinks before this recipe.

We enjoy our coconut curry on the simple side but the possibilities are endless. Possible additions:
  • chicken or shrimp
  • chickpeas
  • potatoes
  • bell peppers
  • yams
  • water chestnuts
  • baby corn
  • kale 
  • broccoli
Just keep in mind that these ingredients have different cooking times, adjust accordingly.

I wanted to highlight two ingredients that were a part of my recipe. Now that we have been making Indian food for quite some time and have an awesome little Indian market in town, Z. and I have accumulated a number of curry powders and spices. Certain dishes call for particular curry powders. We have found that a madras curry powder from the Market of Choice is our preferred curry powder for coconut curry. When I was in Wyoming one summer, I made coconut curry for my grandma and I used some McCormick madras curry my dad had purchased after tasting my coconut curry(!) in Oregon and the taste was great. 


The second ingredient I want to discuss is the shallot. These little bulbs are incredibly important for cheap cooking. Shallots help make the dish taste luxurious and like it came from a restaurant. In one of his books, Anthony Bourdain, wrote that the biggest difference between the food he cooks in a restaurant and what a schmuck like me makes at home, is shallots (and butter). I have heard the flavor of shallots as described as a mild cross between onion and garlic. If you have eaten red onions and garlic, the flavor of shallots will be familiar but I think shallots have their own distinctive flavor. Try them! One shallot is only like $0.30. Trust me, this is thirty-cents well spent. Enjoy!


Coconut Curry, serves 2-3

2-3 tablespoons canola oil
1 shallot, finely minced
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small cauliflower, or about 2 cups chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric, optional
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
red pepper flakes and cilantro to garnish
  1. Heat two or so tablespoons oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add shallot. Saute until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 4-5 minutes, until soft. Tip: Do not let the pan get too warm or the garlic and shallots will brown. 
  2. Add carrots and cauliflower. Allow to saute for 4-5 minutes. 
  3. Move vegetables to the side, creating a clearing in which to toast the spices. Add a drizzle of oil, enough to create a paste with the spices. Add the curry and turmeric to the pan and toast in the oil, about one minute. 
  4. Add coconut milk and salt. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, depending on the vegetables used, about 10-12 minutes. 
  5. Serve with jasmine or basmati rice, garnish with red pepper flakes and cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment