Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Roasted Ragout of Winter Squash and Chickpeas


I have one more acorn squash recipe for all of you. In a dish, I like to combine opposite flavors, particularly spicy and sweet. In this case, the sweetness of the squash is balanced by the heat and earthiness of the Indian spices I used.

I took my inspiration from garam masala, that warming spice blend of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, among other possible spices. When creating this meal, I loved the idea of using garam masala because the spice mix utilizes several spices many of us associate with the fall and winter seasons.


I included turmeric because I knew turmeric's earthy flavor would echo the earthiness of the squash. I was thinking smoking bacon would certainly complement the squash but I was not cooking with bacon that evening so I did the next best thing I could, which was to use smoked paprika. I added plenty of red chili flakes to contrast with the sweetness that is created when vegetables are roasted. What was missing was a hint of brightness or acidity, so I used some fresh tomatoes. Garnishing with plenty of fresh cilantro brings the dish together. Enjoy!

Roasted Ragout of Winter Squash and Chickpeas

Oil, enough olive oil or canola to coat the vegetables
1/2 acorn squash, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, cut into half-circles
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2-3 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Red chili flakes, to taste
Kosher salt, to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Combine all ingredients except tomatoes and cilantro in a casserole dish.
  3. Bake about 15 minutes then add tomatoes to the pan. Continue cooking until tomatoes are warm and squash is tender, about an additional 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.
  4. Serve with chopped fresh cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment