Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Spring Rolls


I love, love, love our spring rolls! One, these rolls are delicious (which I will discuss further, of course) and two, Z. is the person who introduced me to spring rolls. He kept talking about these little rolls that he would occasionally get when he went out or more often, procure from the Safeway hot deli. So, curious I tried a spring roll and loved the crispy, flaky wrapper and the delicious vegetables. Eventually, we started making our own. I still remember the first time we made spring rolls. We were in my tiny little kitchen in Eugene and Z. had driven down to spend the weekend with me.

Spring Roll v. Egg Roll

I am not entirely sure of the differences between a spring roll and an egg roll. As far as I understand, spring rolls will probably have a vegetable filling and egg rolls will have meat. I do know the wrappers are very different. A spring roll wrapper is very delicate and becomes slightly flaky when cooked. When we have used spring roll wrappers we have used two wrappers. For these pictures, I used wonton wrappers because I could not get my hands on spring roll wrappers. I have never found spring roll wrappers at the conventional market, only at the Asian market. I decided to try wonton wrappers this time. I do not think there is any turning back. I was able to brown the rolls very easily and quickly. The moral of the story is I am calling these spring rolls.

What Makes these Spring Rolls Special?
The combination of vegetables. We keep the filling very simple but use tasty, flavorful vegetables. I like a combination of cabbage, shredded carrot, and scallions. The white parts of the scallions add a mild onion flavor without overpowering the rest of the filling. The green parts of the scallions add a fresh almost herbal flavor.  


Bean threads. The bean threads add another layer of texture. And, something happens to the flavor when the cabbage and the bean threads combine. They are great together! 


These rolls can be frozen and made at a later time. Place the rolls on a baking sheet in a single layer and place in the freezer until frozen. Then, the rolls may be placed in freezer bags or stacked in a container. Particularly when using the wonton wrappers, this is the best way to store uncooked rolls. I tried stacking the uncooked rolls in a container layered with waxed paper. The trapped moisture made the wrappers gooey and very hard to work with. If I had initially frozen the rolls, I would have avoided this problem. Enjoy!

    Cheap Not Frugal Eats Spring Rolls

    Note: The amount of vegetables will depend on the number of rolls you would like to make. Extra filling can easily be turned into a stir-fry.

    1 package spring roll wrappers or wonton wrappers
    1/2 green cabbage, chopped 
    3 carrots, grated
    1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
    Bean thread noodles
    Red chili flakes to taste
    Kosher salt
    Canola oil for frying
    1. If wrappers are frozen, set out at room temperature until thawed.
    2. Meanwhile, heat 1-2 tablespoons oil in a large high-sided skillet. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add carrots and scallions, cook until warm. Season with chili flakes and salt to taste. Set vegetable mixture aside to cool.
    3. Prepare bean noodles according to package directions.
    4. When vegetable mixture is cooled, begin assembling spring rolls. Make sure not to over-stuff the rolls. Place a portion of bean thread noodles on a wrapper (if using spring roll wrappers, consider using two wrappers for each roll). Then, place a portion of the vegetable mixture on the noodles. Wrap like a burrito, using a little water to moisten the edges to seal.
    5. If not cooking right away, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until frozen. They may be stored or cooked.
    6. To cook, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. When hot, place rolls in the skillet, leaving space between each roll. When browned on one side, flip. Try to brown on all sides. Serve plain or with dipping sauce of your choice.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment