Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Cheapo Cheapens Weeks 6-8

Week 6: May 20-26
Week 7: May 27-June 2
Week 8: June 3-June 9


Recap
  • I became incredibly frustrated with myself by the end of Week 6. I was so frustrated I could not bring myself to share. I went over my budgets and I felt ridiculous that I kept putting off making decisions of what my budget would really look like. After many talks with Z. about this, he made me realize that all these separate budgets were not going to work. What would work best would be to set a budget that included groceries, trips to the farmer's market, and eating out. So, I am giving myself $100 for everything. June is here. My steady employment ends soon. I get my last paychecks at the end of the month. Regardless of my work situation, I will not get my next real paycheck until the beginning of October. There is absolutely no reason why I should be spending more than $100.
  • Part of my frustration with my previous grocery budget is that I did not know how I would manage those grocery trips where we stocked our pantry. This last week Fred Meyer had a sale on canned beans and tomatoes; we found a deal on canned corn, as well. So, between the two of us, Z. and I bought about 32 cans of beans and tomatoes and about 15 or so cans of corn.
  • While I have been using manufacturers coupons, I have been using coupons from restaurants and consumed four free smoothies or frappes. When fast food restaurants unveil a new product, look for coupons or deals where you can try the item for free.
  • I love my students. One of my programs came to an end and some students had presents for me, including gift cards for Starbucks and Coffee Culture! I am set for the summer.
  • I did spend a lot of money yesterday down in Eugene on summer clothes. I now own obnoxious blue pants and I love them.
  • I have been using iXpenselt consistently and entering everything I spend into the app. June is the second month I have been doing this. This has been a great aid in helping me become even more thoughtful about my purchases and where my money is going.
What Did I Learn
  •  Not to be too proud to admit your mistakes and keep moving forward. The reason some people are able to save their money is because they save, over and over. Wealth is not accumulated by making good choices for one month.
  • Changing habits takes time and persistence.
What Can I Improve
  •  I need to keep writing even when I feel like I have hit a wall. Here is an opportunity to see something through.

No comments:

Post a Comment