Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Farmer's Market Improvisation


Just take a look at the beautiful produce I bought from the Corvallis Farmer's Market! I am one lucky lady: I went twice this week, Wednesday and Saturday.


Green onions and gold roma tomaotes (which are AMAZING!)

Bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, eggplant, and patty pan squash (great raw!)


$5 for 2 pound of organic chile peppers from Spring Hill Farm! If I had paid for these peppers individually, I would have paid at least $15.

Starting from the top: Poblano, chimayo (?), jalapeno, serrano, cherry bomb, anaheim

There is a little bit of everything at the market this time of year: berries sit next to baskets of peaches while the glowing red of cherry peppers catch my eye. Winter squash is even starting to make an appearance! Take a look at the photo, it is delicious.


I will take credit for the moment of improvisatory brilliance but will momentarily explain how I didn't actually cook the meal. Grilled veggies sounded really nice and Z., the grill-master of our home has been bugging me about finding something he could grill. I had been indulging in American Dream bacon pizza for the last two day among other delightful treats so this veggie dinner was a needed change.

This is another meal that will inspire countless variations because it would be great with whatever veggies are on hand. I used delicata squash, which is considered a winter squash but is already coming into season at one of the farmer's market vendors I check out every week. I love grilled onions so that was a no-brainer.

I also love dark greens and after being missing for a month or so, beets are all over the market. The lady behind me in line asked me what I was planning on doing with the greens because she hates them. These greens are so tender and mild that I told her I was just going to saute the greens with olive oil and garlic. Once I got home I wished I had shared this tip with her: I generally don't eat cooked greens on their own; I prefer to mix my cooked green with other vegetables. I like the different textures and mix of flavors.




Since Z. was grilling, he thought to reduce the balsamic in a small pan on the grill outside. This is one of the best ideas ever! I love how reducing the vinegar creates a glaze and brings out the sweetness in the vinegar but cooking vinegar can really stink up a place even with windows open and fans blasting. I even bought a liter of balsamic from Trader Joe's the next night with the idea that I am going to cook down the whole bottle to have whenever I want. Enjoy!

Beet Greens with Grilled Vegetables and Balsamic Glaze

by Ace Nation
Keywords: grill saute vegan gluten-free greens vegetables

Ingredients (serves 1-2)
    For the beet greens
    • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 3-4 cups beet greens, washed and chopped
    • Kosher salt, to taste
    • Red pepper flakes, to taste
    For the grilled vegetables
    • Nonstick Cooking spray
    • 1/2 delicata squash, seeds removed, cut in strips
    • 2-3 1/4-inch sliced onion
    • 1 small eggplant, cut in pieces
    • Kosher salt
    • Black pepper
    For the balsamic glaze
    • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    Instructions
    For the balsamic glaze
    Pour vinegar in small pan and place on the heat. Stirring occasionally, cook until vinegar has reduced by about half and coats the spoon. This will thicken even more as it cools.
    For the grilled vegetables
    Microwave the squash 2-3 minutes, just enough to get the squash slightly tender.
    Spray the squash, onions, and eggplant with nonstick cooking spray.
    Season each side of the vegetable liberally with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
    Grill each side until lightly charred and cooked through; each vegetable will require a different cooking time.
    Set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
    For the beat greens
    Heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
    If using tougher beet greens, begin by sauteing the stems first. Add the garlic to the pan, stirring occasionally, cook 3-4 minutes.
    Add the remaining greens and cook until all vegetables are just tender and wilted, about 5 minutes.
    Season with kosher salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
    To serve
    Place a bed of the greens on a plate. Arrange the desired amount of grilled vegetables over the greens. Drizzle with the balsamic glaze and top with basil.
    Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment