Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Delicata Squash Bisque


I started out with a plan to make a frugal version of vichyssoise then realized I was missing most of the ingredients so I improvised with what I had and came up with what I am calling Delicata Squash Bisque. The lack of plan accounts for the absent ingredient pictures.

I am beginning to better appreciate how much I learn from my spontaneous creation and substitutions. Besides getting a better idea of the versatility of delicata squash, I took away an important lesson:
  • Many soups rely on cream. Well, that's delicious but too rich for me on a regular basis so I thought of ways I could have a creamy soup without the cream. My first substitution was milk. I knew that could only be the start. I also knew that blending potatoes into the soup would help thicken the soup. Beans were the answer! I used white beans (great northern beans) and had great results. The soup was creamy, luscious, and satsifying.
Enjoy!

P. S.  I made a small pot of soup. This could easily be doubled!


Delicata Squash Bisque

by Ace Nation

Keywords: soup/stew vegetarian delicata squash

Ingredients (serves 2-3)

  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 delicata squash, diced into bite-sized pieces with the skin on
  • 1 potato, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 15 ounce can white beans (about 3/4 cup beans)
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 cups milk

Instructions

In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.

Add onion, stirring occasionally, cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.

Add garlic, delicata squash, and potato, stirring occasionally, cook until potato is almost tender, about 10 minutes.

Add beans, milk, and vegetable stock. Let simmer gently, avoiding boiling the soup.

Stirring occasionally until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.

Very carefully blend the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. If soup is too thick, add milk 1/8 cup at a time until desired consistency.

Return soup to pan and reheat gently.

If desired, garnish with a drizzle of fruity olive oil or fresh herbs of your choice like parsley or dill.

Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment