Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pumpkin Detour: Zucchini "Chili"


I have lots of new recipes to share! This little gem is something I made a couple of months ago when you could most clearly see the transition in the seasons at the farmer's market. The last berries of the year were sitting next to basketfuls of delicata squash and dark greens, while mounds of zucchini and chili peppers were  fighting to grab your attention away from heirloom peaches and apples. You can see this in the star ingredients:

  • summer squash
  • fresh chili peppers
  • kale
  • delicata squash
Delicata squash may not be available everywhere or for an exorbitant price. If you would like to make a substitute, I suggest butternut squash or yams. Both have a stronger flavor than delicata but it's similar to the delicata.

Creating a yummy meal around my last summer squash that used some of the other veggies in my pantry was my inspiration. I had a huge round zucchini that only cost $0.33 because it was the end of the summer season! By this time, I was pretty tired of all my tried and true zucchini recipes so I did a little searching.


I found Rachael Ray's recipe here. I started with Rachael's recipe and adapted it to what I had on hand. This is a keeper! The spices and chile peppers were a nice combination but didn't overpower the vegetables. I only used 3 chilies but feel free to add more. I was surprised at home much I liked the zucchini in big chunks. The larger pieces of zucchini kept some crispness and made the meal feel more hearty.


I did one step differently. I roasted my two squashes and the peppers. The zucchini I kept an eye on and removed from the oven right when it was just becoming tender. I just heated these vegetables through at the end in the pot. While this step isn't necessary, the roasted flavor really made the meal better. I don't think any of the red pepper made it into the pot because it was so good on its on. Enjoy!




Zucchini "Chili"

by Ace Nation
Keywords: vegan beans/lentils vegetables

Ingredients (serves 2)
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups zucchini, chopped into large pieces
  • 1/2 delicata squash, chopped into bite-size pieces
  • 1 pablano chili
  • 1 Anaheim chili
  • 1 red chili
  • 2-3 cups kale, chopped
  • 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Garnish: Lime wedges or cilantro
Instructions
Note: Roasting the squash and the peppers is not required but does taste delicious. If you decide not to roast the vegetables, add the squash and peppers while the onions cook, and cook until tender.
To roast the squash and peppers: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat the squash and peppers with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes. Stir the vegetables about halfway through.
In a large high-sided skillet, heat olive oil over medium-low to medium heat. Add onion, stirring occasionally, cook until soft, a little color is nice, 8-10 minutes.
Add garlic and kale, stirring occasionally, cook until tender, 5-7 minutes.
Add tomato paste and cumin. Cook about 1 minute.
Add vegetable stock, Italian seasoning, coriander, smoked paprika, roasted vegetables, and black beans.
Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer 10-15 minutes, until the squash is heated through and the sauce has reduced and thickened slightly. Season to taste with kosher salt.
Serve over rice with lime wedges and/or fresh cilantro.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment