Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Peanut and Yam Curry



Occasionally, trying out other cooks' recipes will inspire me further. Such was the case with Autumn Sweet Potato Soup from The Shiksa in the Kitchen. I thought the soup was great but couldn't get the idea of turning it into, what I would call, a curry. I took my favorite flavors from the soup and added what is my standard spice quintet: turmeric, smoked paprika, garam masala, cumin, and coriander.



The spices and veggies in this recipe are standard for me. I have created many delicious and varied meals from these ingredients. But this particular combination, with the addition of the peanut butter and ginger created something truly special. I have to say, this is one of the best recipes I have made.



I ate my curry with millet but rice or another grain would work well. I have an idea for a fancy millet that might go great with this. But I should try it first before I share it.

MAKE THIS and enjoy!




Yam and Peanut Curry

by Ace Nation

Keywords: vegan peanut butter vegetables

Ingredients (serves 3-4)

  • 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 red chili peppers, such as Italian frying pepper
  • 2 small or 1 large yam, peeled and diced
  • 2-3 cups kale, chopped
  • 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 15 ounce can red beans (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste

Instructions

In a large high-sided skillet, heat oil over medium heat.

Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.

Add shallot chili peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, about 3-4 minutes.

Add yam and kale to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

Add turmeric, smoked paprika, ground ginger, garam masala, cumin, and coriander. Toast about 30 seconds, no longer than 1 minute.

Add tomatoes, red beans, peanut butter, and water. Combine ingredients and bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and allow to simmer gently until beans are warmed through and the sauce has thickened.

Season to taste with kosher salt and cayenne pepper.

Serve with rice, millet, or couscous.

Enjoy!

Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment