Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dinner for One: Acorn Squash with Chickpeas and Adobo



I inherited an acorn squash and wanted to try something interesting with it. Acorn Squash with Chickpeas and Adobo was created. When researching adobo I kept reading about using adobo as a marinade. I knew the squash wouldn't absorb the flavor of the adobo; I thought a nice crust might form when I sauteed the squash. While the squash didn't develop a crust (maybe I should try grilling or baking), the flavor was tasty.


Turns out, not only did I create a delicious meal (with leftovers) but it was also an educational experience that I thought I would share with you. Every other time I have used an acorn squash, I would just chop it in half, remove the seeds, and roast the squash. The squash was tasty but only worked when I was going to puree the squash. I never had squash I could use in a recipe like this. Instead of roasting, I took the time to break the squash into smaller pieces that I was able to peel (hack is a more apt description). I then chopped those pieces of squash into the amount of bite-sized pieces I required for this recipe. The rest of the peeled squash went into a storage container for later meals, using just as much as I wanted. This turned out to be well worth the time. I used squash in more recipes than I otherwise would have.

Don’t get me wrong, this took a long time, at least 40 minutes just to peel the squash, plus the amount of time I needed to dice the squash for this meal. I have to give my warning to those who are impatient or not comfortable with a knife, this project is not for you.

If you don’t have acorn squash, it’s out of season or you just can't handle the time commitment involved with a squash, yam would make a great substitute. Enjoy!

*** I enjoyed my acorn squash over a bed of millet (it's not just bird food, I promise!). If you can see any little red flecks that is raw chopped radish mixed into the millet.

Acorn Squash with Chickpeas and Adobo

by Ace Nation
Keywords: entree vegan adobo sauce winter squash

Ingredients (serves 3-4)
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
  • 1 potato, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups acorn squash, chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 15 ounce can of chickpeas (about 3/4 cup of beans)
  • 1 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or Mexican oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 2 tablespoons adobo (more less depending on your taste)
  • Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
In a mixing bowl, coat acorn squash with adobo sauce. Set aside.
Heat canola oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat.
Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, jalapeno, potato, and acorn squash. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 8-10 minutes.
Add turmeric, Italian seasoning (or oregano), cumin, and smoked paprika. Toast about 1 minute.
Add can of diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are tender, and sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes if potatoes and squash have been cut into bite-size pieces. Cook for about 15 minutes if vegetables are larger.
Season to taste with kosher salt.
Serve with rice or any other whole grain like millet or quinoa.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment