Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Recipe Review: Basic Adobo Sauce



Source: Basic Adobo Sauce Recipe

I enjoy my Cauliflower and Bacon Chowder but have been wondering what would it be like with a little kick. I thought of adobo. It's something I could get in a can right off the shelf and just scoop some into my soup. I started investigating what was available at the grocery store. I looked at 3 different stores and they cost too much for me, especially after I started looking at the ingredients list. The adobo sauce in all the cans was only seasoned tomato sauce. I could definitely handle making that myself. Besides, I wanted something with chilies.



I've been wanting to become more familiar with the multitude of dried chilies that are available to me (even the regular grocery store has quite the selection) so I went with the simplest recipe with dried chilies I could find. I have used Roberto SantibaƱez's recipe that I found on Food Republic. I know nothing about adobo and will not even pretend. Take a look at the website and try this recipe!


Pasilla-ancho chilies


California chilies
I couldn't find guajillo chilies so I used dried pasilla-ancho chilies and dried California chilies. I don't know what the original recipe was supposed to taste like but I really enjoyed what I ended up with. My adobo was very thick and yielded about 1 cup. I think the variations were due to the differences in my chilies. I know if I wanted something with a thinner consistency, I could have added a splash more water. Since I knew that part of this was going into soup, I didn't bother. Enjoy!


Ingredients: Water, dried chilies, vinegar, sugar, salt, cumin, garlic
Corn Chowder with Adobo


No comments:

Post a Comment