Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Barley Mujadara Salad


This recipe was inspired by a discovery on a shelf at the Market of Choice. Z. and I were perusing the hot sauce and Indian chutneys when I saw this package:



I really enjoy barley and lentils so why not have them together?  The ingredients reminded me of mujadara, made with barley instead of rice. I've made mujadara before and really enjoyed the meal (here is my mujadara review and here is a link to the original recipe, if you are interested). Instead of paying several dollars for 10 or so ounces of prepackaged food, I decided to make my own version, creating a variation of my recent Cilantro Pistou recipe. As is mostly the case, I had no idea what I was doing and ended up with a very tasty dinner.

From the top clockwise: garam masala, ground ginger, and cumin seeds

This recipe is great warm or cold, so of course I tried both! I prefer Barley Mujadara Salad at room temperature or colder. Barley is very tasty warm, though I just love the texture of chilled barley. Mediterranean Barley Salad, anyone? The toothsomeness of properly cooked barley is brought out by chilling.

After making Cilantro Pistou, I was inspired to create a parsley version. I figured since parsley is commonly featured in Middle Eastern Cuisine, Barley Mujadara was the perfect first vehicle for my Parlsey Pistou, or what I might call a parsley vinaigrette. Whatever it's called, the green stuff I mixed in with the barley, lentils, veggies, and spices tied everything together.

I am always proud of my onions; hence, way too many pictures of browned onions.

I wanted to keep this pretty brainless so I cooked all the ingredients separately then mixed everything together. If you are talented enough to cook things together that have different cooking times and not overcook anything (like Z.) be my guest. Enjoy!


Barley and Lentil Mujadara Salad

by Ace Nation
Keywords: entree salad vegan barley beans/lentils Middle Eastern

Ingredients
    For the Mujadara
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 onion, sliced thinly into half-moons
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced finely
    • 1 cup brown lentils
    • 1 cup barley
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin or 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    • 1 teaspoon garam masala
    • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • Kosher salt, to taste
    For the Parsley Vinaigrette
    • 1/2 bunch parsley
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, more or less depending on your taste
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • Kosher salt, to taste
    Instructions
    For the Parsley Vinaigrette
    Combine parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil in a blender. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt.
    For the rest of the dish
    Cook the barley and lentils separately according to package directions. Set aside when done.
    Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a high-sided skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very browned, about 20-25 minutes.
    Add garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Set aside when done.
    Meanwhile, heat a small and dry pan over medium heat. Toast the spices about 60 seconds. Set aside.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked barley, lentils, and onion mixture with toasted spices and parsley vinaigrette. Make sure to taste and add more salt if needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
    Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment