Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Hummus

One of my favorite cheap snacks is hummus and carrots. I eat this all the time! I'm sure there are plenty of great recipes out there but I've included the one that I always make. I don't include tahini. When I first started making my own hummus, I would add tahini. But, I didn't notice a difference when it was in the hummus and I didn't notice when it wasn't in it. So, I don't add tahini.

1 can drained and rinsed garbanzo beans
a couple teaspoons of bottled lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
2 (I like 3) cloves of garlic, grated
salt and lots of pepper

I have made hummus quite a few times in a normal-sized food processor but my mini-processor works soooo much better. I can't get my hummus as smooth in the bigger processor as I can in the small one. I don't really know how much lemon juice and olive oil I add. I just add some, mix it, then add some more of something if it doesn't have the consistency or flavor I want yet. As Gordon Ramsay is found of yelling, "Taste your food!!!" Season your food the way you like it. If raw garlic is not your thing, I find roasting it first makes it much more mild. Another thing you can do, is grate or chop it, and saute it slightly on the stove with the olive oil you'll be adding to the hummus. I love the spiciness of the raw garlic, so I just use that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment