Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Fresh brussel sprouts, straight from the refrigerator

Cleaned and cut

Happy little brussels roasting in olive oil with black pepper
Brussel sprouts appeal to me in many ways: the way they look - they're small, round, and green - the way they grow - they grow on a stalk! - and most of all, the way they taste. Growing up, my family was definitely all about the meat and potatoes but we always had to have vegetables at dinner. My dad's favorites were spinach and brussel sprouts so we had those frequently. Even though they entered the house frozen and were reheated by being boiled, I grew to love brussel sprouts. I have to accept this, my parents didn't know any better. When I finally tried fresh brussel sprouts for the first time, my life was never the same (I have also come to accept that enjoying good food is a more dramatic experience for myself than it is for other people). Z and I made balsamic-glazed brussel sprouts and red onions with Z's delicious yellow rice. It was the sexiest dish we ever made. When I find the picture, I will share. I will also share the recipe for balsamic-glazed brussel sprouts because I think I have referenced it only a million times. What I am trying to get at is try fresh brussel sprouts, especially pan-roasted brussel sprouts. There is something about being lovingly coated in olive oil and being caramelized that makes magic happen. Some folks like to roast brussel sprouts in an oven. This works, too. Cooking them on the stove-top is still my first choice.

P.S. I haven't tried this recipe in a non-stick pan. I have always used Z's heavy metal pans. They hold the heat really well and I know I can get some browning or caramelizing to take place in these pans. I don't know that I would get the same result in my non-stick. Whatever you have, use! You're still cooking yummy vegetables at home, you can't go wrong with that! Also, I add some of the black pepper to the pan as the brussel sprouts are browning because I think pepper tastes a little                                                                                        different when it's been cooked but you season                                                                                        them the way you like.

Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Fresh brussel sprouts
Olive oil
Peeled and chopped garlic (optional) and however much you like (I think the more the merrier)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chili flakes or a dash of cayenne if you like a little heat

  1. Prepare fresh brussel sprouts by washing the outside, if you so desire. Make sure they are dry when you cook. When shopping for brussel sprouts, I prefer the smaller brussels and I like to get them all as close to the same size as possible. I like to peel off the outer layer of leaves. This can be time consuming but it's what I like to do. Cut off stem. Cut brussel sprouts in half. To keep everything relatively the same size, I slice the great big brussels into thirds.
  2. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
  3. Place the brussel sprouts cut side down in the hot oil. I suggest tongs. Turn the heat down slightly.
  4. Cook until browned to desired color, turn over (tongs work great), and turn down the heat a little.
  5. When almost done cooking and the pan isn't so hot it will brown the garlic, add the salt and garlic. 
  6. When finished cooking, season to taste with salt, pepper, and chili. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. your post reminded me how much i like brussel sprouts, so a few nights ago when i had a dinner alone i treated myself to some with butter. your cooking adventures make me both salivate and smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Allegra!!! Brussel sprout + butter sounds amazing! I love simple food.

    ReplyDelete