Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Week of Presents

I have had a really nice week, not only did I work a full-day every day, I had quite a few unexpected presents. The only present that didn't involve me eating at some point was from Z. He was away all week for work and brought me back a present! I probably should add that he always brings me back a present when he is gone this long. I think someone might think I am neat-o. Z. found a recording of the cellist Rostropovich performing Gagneux's Trytyque and Shchedring's Sotto Voce, two compositions neither Z. or I had heard before.

I had a large manila envelope from the lovely Mrs. Andrew containing the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated and a second issue dedicated just to soups and stews. She gave me a subscription to the magazine. I am very excited about this. Another present that came in the mail was a card to Z. and I from Z.'s grandma with a Ruby Tuesday gift card. We love Ruby Tuesday's salad bar. Z. also had a Valentine's Day card from his mom with another restaurant gift card. Looks like someone will be taking me out!

The other presents were to Z. from his dad but totally benefit me. Z.'s dad is a lot like us in that he loves cooking and loves trying out new dishes. This last summer, Z.'s dad decided to try his hand out at canning. I was able to taste the results at Christmas dinner. His pickled green beans were amazing. Over the past year or so Z. and I have been discussing possibly canning in the future so we picked his dad's brain about his experience. During this latest work sojourn, Z. was able to stay with his dad. Z. left with a jar of the pickled beans, a couple of jars of homemade blueberry jam, a small pressure cooker, and a pot that will be large enough for us to can a few pint jars. We will be canners soon! We have already procured some of the implements we need and have a rain-check for Fred Meyer's asparagus. The only items left to get are jars.  We used the pressure cooker on Friday to cook a batch of dried garbanzos. It worked great and was way faster than I was expecting. Dried beans here we come.

I will be writing some thank you cards later today. I am never too cheap to not send a hand-written thank you card. A thank you doesn't have to be extra fancy. Possibilities include just be a note saying thank you or an actual thank you card, as long as there there is a hand-written message. It is possible to be cheap and classy.

This picture of Growler has nothing to do with presents. He was just being awfully cute last night so I thought I would share. This is a very happy cat after being tucked in by his daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment