Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Cheapo Cheapens Challenge: Week 5

Week 5: May 13-19

Recap
  • I spent $16.06 this week! Yikes. I have $3.94 left. I have not figured out the best way to manage my $40 goal. So far I have tried giving myself $20 every two weeks and making that last rather than giving myself $40 at the beginning of the four weeks. I am going to try to make my $3.94 last through next Saturday. I do not foresee making any large grocery purchases this week. I will just need some small necessities. I spent so much this week because I took advantage of the Fred Meyer Founder's Day sale spending most of that money on a block Tillamook cheese and five 32-ounce containers of Nancy's yogurt. Sounds a little excessive Nancy's Yogurt is amazing, a good source of protein, and does not expire until the middle of June.
  • I almost met my goal of not going to the grocery store until Thursday; I made it to Wednesday when bought a loaf of bread and celery. I used bottle returns to pay for most of the purchase.
  • The meat from Emmons Meat Market that I bought last week was delicious! Z. and I had an amazing meal with some friends and the delicious steak was a fabulous addition.
  • I gave a lot of thought to my eating-out budget. I think I have been spending around $40 a month on eating out and when I created a budget, I came up with $35. I am going to give myself a month or so to continue tracking my expenses and see if that is accurate. I have spent $29.69 so far in May. I splurged a little on Friday's dinner. I think I will be right around $40 since I will probably eat out next weekend.
  • I planted a few containers last Sunday! We already had the containers, I had to buy some soil and seeds. I planted two big containers of an Italian basil, one container will have Thai basil, two long containers of an heirloom romaine lettuce, and a pot of special grass for the cat. Lettuce and cat grass is already sprouting!
What Did I Learn
  •  If I am going to stick to a $40 a month grocery budget, I am going to have to be tougher on myself or get Z., my boyfriend, to buy more things for me. Shh, don't tell him I said that.
  • The money from bottle returns helps. Z. used some on his groceries and I used some as well and it definitely made a difference in my budget. We still have a bunch of bottles to take back. I will  not be as lazy about that now.

What Can I Improve
  •  Use coupons. 
  • I have yet to meet to my goals. After rereading this post I realize how casual I am about setting a goal and then not meeting it. I either need to do the work necessary to meet the goal or admit I was wrong and adjust my goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment