Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Corvallis Farmer's Market Pick of the Week



I suggest that anyone going to the Corvallis Farmer's Market tomorrow should:


  1. Enjoy a potato doughnut from Gather Together Farm. Just please leave two plain ones for Z. and I.
  2. Try gai lan from Wonderful Garden.
As I have shared before, Wonderful Garden is one of my favorite vendors at the farmer's market. This year, I see that they are growing a variety of Asian vegetables. Gai lan being one of them. Do not be afraid of this humble looking vegetable. It is delicious!

Another name for gai lan is Chinese broccoli. I had no idea what I was going to do with this vegetable when I first bought it. I figured for a $1/bunch, I could get some then figure out what to do with it.
 
Once home, I did a little research. I think I found the most useful information about gai lan here on Steamy Kitchen and World Crops provided me with a little more knowledge.

Z. and I decided to use a few stocks of gai lan in stir-fry. What a treat! I appreciated the mild broccoli-type flavor. This was much appreciated by Z. who likes broccoli but is not such a fan of broccoli in stir-fry. The stems kept their crunch and the leaves did not wilt down very much, keeping much of their bulk. I have not used gai lan raw yet but I am looking forward to doing that due to its crisp, yet tender texture. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment