Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Corvallis Farmer's Market 5/12



Amount Spent: $5.50

After missing the market last Saturday and getting there too late the week before, I made a point to get down to the market early today to pick up one of Gathering Together Farm's potato donuts. Delicious!

Left to right: Cilantro and gai lan from Beautiful Garden
I love all the new types of produce I am seeing, particularly Asian vegetables. A couple of weeks ago, I tried gai lan for the first time. I made a point to get another bunch today. Beautiful Garden had quite the selection of produce today. I picked up a beautiful bunch of cilantro.

From left to right: Tat soi and oregano from the Community Table
I always enjoy perusing the Community Table; you just never know what they might have. Today, I picked up some fresh oregano. I have never had fresh oregano so I am very excited to try it. They also had two vegetables I have not seen before: pak choy and tat soi. The pak choy looked like the more familiar bok choy but a pale green replaced the cream-colored ribs and veins. I could not get both so I got tat soi after the very nice vendor let me try a leaf. After one taste, I can tell you the leaves of tat soi are very tender with a delicate taste reminiscent of kale and chard.

Kale from Velazquez Organic Farm

One of the new vendors this year is Velazquez Organic Farm (the Gazette Times included them in a nice article a few weeks ago). I have been drawn to their lovely produce every trip to the market so far and today is the first time that I have bought. I purchased some very nice kale for $1. $1!!!This was definitely an impulse buy. I do not think I have tried this particular variety of kale. The leaves are smooth, about as big as my hand, relatively flat, with crinkly edges.

I stopped by the vendor, Rick Steffen Farm, where I got baby turnips a couple weeks ago. No turnips this week. I asked if they might have some more this season and the answer was they have turnips intermittently throughout the season.

New Arrivals

  • Denison Farms had strawberries. There was a very long line of excited folks waiting to buy some fresh strawberries.
  • Lots of new greens. The farmers have had lots of different types of salad greens since the first week but I saw many more types of greens like lemon sorrel and other delicate greens.
Check back later this week to see what kind of creations I make with my produce. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment