Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fall Squash Soup Recipe


I've shared a recipe for Acorn Squash Soup before. Tasty but it didn't become a regular in the rotation. I even tried a variation I never posted that used substituted half the the acorn squash with yams to see if I could get it right. Still didn't become a repeat recipe.

I was inspired by a recent visit to Les Caves. I thoroughly enjoyed their Autumn Squash soup. I don't have confidence that I figured out every ingredient in the Les Caves soup, I have a few ideas why their soup was so good:
  • it was simple
  • different types of squash were used to give a complex, nuanced flavor
  • lots of browned onions or shallots
  • and the biggest surprise to me, thyme.
I thought I would give squash soup another try with these ideas in mind. What I created was a delicious soup. While I used only acorn, this would be a great place to use different varieties of winter squash. I will definitely be making this again. Enjoy!

Fall Squash Soup

by Ace Nation
Keywords: soup/stew winter squash fall
Ingredients
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion or 2 small onions, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • 1 acorn squash, roasted and peeled
  • 3 cups water (or vegetable or chicken stock)
  • 1 cup half-and-half
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions
In a soup pot, heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons butter over low to medium-low heat. Add onions, stirring occasionally, cook slowly until onions are very browned, about 25 minutes.
Add garlic and saute until cooked, about 5 minutes.
Add roasted squash, stock, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer about 15 minutes.
Very carefully blend until smooth. Return to a clean pot and add half-and-half. Heat to a gentle simmer. Serve and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment