Pages

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Ensalada Caribeña: Cuban Cabbage Salad


Besides winter squash, my current obsession is cabbage. It all started with my frugal rice salad. Then I became interested in expanding my knowledge of Latin cuisine. So far this year I've made ensalada de remolacha (Cuban beet salad) and ensalada de repollo (Latin cabbage salad). Both recipes feature vegetables that are available year round without a noticeable different in quality. The ensalada de repollo was a great addition to my fall line-up of soups. It was bright, fresh, and raw. Qualities that I probably wouldn't use to describe many of the side dishes found on the table this time of year. I wanted to continue to experiment with the possibilities.

Z.'s favorite salad from Pambiche is their ensalada caribeña, or Caribbean salad. It's a red and green cabbage salad with carrots and herbs dressed with a refreshing citrus vinaigrette. I tried creating my own version of ensalada caribeña. 

I have enjoyed this recipe several ways. First, I enjoyed my Caribbean salad as its own meal, making a healthy lunch. I also a small plate of the salad as a side dish to my Fall Squash Soup. The bright, citrus flavors will complement all of fall's most popular dishes. Come back soon for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment