Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Delicata Squash with Spicy Miso



Delicata squash won't be around for much longer so enjoy it while you still can! I love using delicata squash with strong flavors. Here are a couple of my own favorite recipes that use delicata squash:
Delicata is versatile because of its mild flavor and delicate texture, which combines the best of winter and summer squash. Hands down, the best way to highlight the flavor and texture of delicata squash is roasting. I love the squash cut fairly thickly with a little color.

I did a little research and first found a recipe for a Roasted Delicata Squash Salad from 101 Cookbooks. Making a salad from roasted vegetables? Why, yes, that is right up my culinary alley. Millet Salad with Orange Vinaigrette, perhaps? I think a lentil salad with roasted winter vegetables will be in near future. 

What caught my eye in the roasted delicata squash salad post was the mention of the inspiration of the recipe: delicata squash with spicy miso. I found Delicata Squash with Spicy Miso Butter from The Dinner Files. I love miso and I love harissa, both of which are quite at home in my refrigerator. I never would have thought of combining them! I have no other way to word to describe miso than with funky. Delicata squash is the perfect canvas for miso's funkiness balanced with harissa's fieriness. I added a few whole cloves of fresh garlic to my second creation of this recipe and loved it even more. Enjoy!

Roasted Delicata Squash with Miso and Harissa

by Ace Nation
Keywords: bake vegan delicata squash miso harissa
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil (more if needed to coat the squash)
  • 1 delicata squash
  • 1 tablespoon miso
  • 1-2 teaspoons harissa (more or less depending on taste)
  • Kosher salt,, to taste
Instructions
To prepare the squash, cut the ends off and cut length-wise down the middle. Scoop out all the seeds and membrane. Place cut-side down on a cutting board and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, whisk together oil, miso, harissa, and salt until smooth (this will separate and the miso might have a grainy texture, this is normal).
Add squash to the oil-miso-harissa mixture. Toss until all the squash is coated on all sides with the oil.
Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes, then turn. Continue baking another 3-5 minutes, until the squash is tender but not overcooked.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment