Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Pantry-Friendly Pie: Vegan Acorn Squash Pie with Crust



Since I made my first vegan acorn squash pie two years ago, I have been experimenting with different recipes and different squashes. I haven't posted any of them because they didn't turn out in taste or looks or both. This whole vegan baking thing is tricky.

My latest attempt at vegan pie even looks like a pie!
Today, I thought I would share my most recent experiment, my attempt at creating a pantry-friendly acorn squash pie. My biggest accomplishment was making a pie crust. I have an unreasonable aversion to making pie crust. I make the biggest mess when trying to roll out a pie crust and have a tendency to crack the crust. I found a tip: roll the crust between two sheets of wax paper. As long as both sheets of the wax paper are floured, this worked much better for me. I could easily move the crust around or flip it over. When the time came to place the crust in the pie pan, I used the invert method (see step 6) from the Pie Maven. I made sure to blind bake the crust before adding the filling.

Here is the recipe I used for the crust. Very simple and Grandma would approve.

 
I used my original vegan acorn squash pie recipe as the base of my recipe. After making several failed squash pies, one important lesson I have learned is to blend all the ingredients in the blender, especially if using fresh winter squash. My ingredients for this pie were:
 
I omitted the apples since I had a crust and I wanted to see what would happen without the cornstarch. Turns out, these kinds of pies need at least a bit of cornstarch or arrowroot powder to form the proper texture. I also made sure not to overcook the pie! Do you have a favorite recipe I should try? What are your suggestions???


No comments:

Post a Comment