Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Blend


With all the ideas I have for upcoming recipes, finally making my own pumpkin pie spice blend seemed like a good idea. I've been pulling cinnamon, ground ginger, and nutmeg out of the cupboard every time I make a fall desert. In all the pumpkin pie recipes I have read there are always a bit of clove. I wondered if I was missing out on something. 

I don't particularly like cloves unless they are used to scent rice. Turns out, when combined with other spices, clove really does bring something to the party. If you're like me and have no intention of using clove again, I bought just enough for this recipe from the spice section.

I borrowed the Old Farmer's Almanac recipe (I left out the all spice for no other reason than I forgot to get some). I plan on adding the nutmeg when I use the spice blend so I can grate it fresh.

Why make your own pumpkin spice blend? The cheapest jar at the supermarket would have cost $2.99. We all have cinnamon in the cupboard. The ginger came from a jar that I bought at 40% off. Ground ginger can be used both in desserts and savory dishes so I thought that was a worthwhile investment. The cloves I bought a small amount from the bulk for about $0.50. Not such a bad deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment