Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Ensalada de Repollo: Latin Cabbage Salad



I know next to nothing about Latin food and have been trying to change this. My journey started with ensalada de remolacha. A bright, refreshing salad of tender beets dressed with a citrus dressing. Then I moved on to piccadillo, which Z. and I have enjoyed over pasta and I have used the leftovers in several creative ways. The next recipe on my Latin food adventure was my take on migas.

Now I am on to ensalada de repollo. What do I like so much about this recipe?
  • It's cheap. Cabbage is the cheap/poor person's best friend.
  • All the vegetables are what I consider year-round veggies. Of course, this time of year, the cabbage is going to be particularly sweet and flavorful. 
  • There is room for variation. I added many different veggies but if you just want cabbage, carrots, and cilantro, then go for it. Just make sure you invite me over for dinner. Jalapeno vinaigrette doesn't sound appealing to you? Leave it out or use 1/2 jalapeno. The sharpness and spiciness from a spicy chile pepper isn't for everyone.
Enjoy!


Latin Cabbage Salad

by Ace Nation
Keywords: raw gluten-free vegan Cuban
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
    For the dressing
    • 1/2 cup vinegar, such as white vinegar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1/2-1 whole jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped
    • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, more or less depending on taste
    For the salad
    • 3/4 small head green cabbage, finely diced
    • 1/4 head purple cabbage, finely diced
    • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
    • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
    • 1/2 cup diced red pepper, such as red bell pepper, Italian sweet pepper, or New Mexico chile
    • 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
    Instructions
    Combine all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
    Try to cut the vegetables all the same size. Combine the vegetables and dressing in a large mixing bowl. Taste and add more salt if needed.
    May be served immediately but is best when refrigerated for at least 1 hour. This salad gets better and better with time.
    Serve as a side dish or as a condiment to a variety of meals, such as tacos or sandwiches.
    Enjoy!
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment