Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Winter Squash Challenge: Dal with Winter Squash


Growing up, the most adventurous my family was with winter squash was pumpkin pie and roasting pumpkin seeds from a jack-o-lantern, occasionally. I had no idea what to do with the acorn squash I would find every fall in the super market. One fall, I decided I could try an acorn squash for $1. The only recipe I knew or my friends knew was to roast the squash with brown sugar and butter. Picture it: a college student sitting home alone of the couch with a bright red plastic plate with half a golden brown acorn squash. Even though I made a very pretty squash, that didn't make my list of favorite meals, too boring.

When I found very inexpensive squash last fall, I decided to use that as a learning opportunity. I fell in love with acorn squash! Here are some of my adventures from last fall:
My discovery this fall has been delicata squash. I love the versatality and flavor of this heirloom squash and have used it many meals, like:
And I have more to share! The challenge to try as many new winter squash and pumpkin recipes has begun! As I am typing, my pumpkin is roasting away in the oven. I already have two delicious meals planned!

One of my favorite smells in the world: browning onions.

After making Roasted Ragout of Winter Squash and Chickpeas, I discovered bold, earthy flavors like curry and garam masala provide a delicious counter-balance to winter squash's sweetness. I decided to try creating a variation of a Cheap Not Frugal Eat staple by adding winter squash. That is how Dal with Winter Squash was born.

Almost any dal or combination of dal could be used in this recipe. I used mung dal because it doesn't take as long as some other dals and I love the texture. Mung dal will keep some of its toothsome texture while creating a creamy dal.

Almost done!
 If you want a really creamy dal, try red lentils. They are also quick cooking like mung but break down when cooked. Yellow split peas would be another great choice. They just require a longer cooking time than I was willing to dedicate. And, they are one of the cheapest dal! If you can't find any of these dal, brown lentils would be a great choice too. If you are going the brown lentil route, I would look to my recipe for Brown Lentil and Yellow Split Pea Dal for direction. Enjoy!

Dal with Winter Squash

by Ace Nation
Keywords: vegan beans/lentils/dal winter squash

Ingredients (serves 2-3)
  • 1-2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 fresh red chile, such as Fresno or cherry pepper
  • 1/2 delicata squash, about 1 cup squash, roasted and cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 cup mung dal
  • 4 cups water, or more as needed
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder, such as Madras curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
Heat 2-3 tablespoons canola oil in a soup pot over medium-low to medium heat. Adjust heat as needed while cooking to make sure the pot does not get too hot and the food burns. Add onions and season liberally with salt. Cook until brown and soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chile and garlic. Cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
If the pan is dry, add a drizzle of oil, add spices to this oil, and let cook only 30 seconds to one minute.
Add water and mung dal. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, cook 10-12 minutes.
Add roasted squash to the dal and continue cooking until dal is tender, about 10 more minutes.
Serve with basmati rice and enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment