Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Don't Just be a Coupon Collector...Be a Coupon Scavenger

In an earlier post, http://cheapnotfrugaleats.blogspot.com/2010/08/aces-tips-on-becoming-cheap.html I discussed the importance of collecting and picking up coupons whenever you see them. This week, that tactic has worked out really well for the Cheapskate Household. I was in Wyoming two weeks ago. As I was wondering the aisles of a grocery store, I picked up any coupons I could find. Different markets may have different coupons. I picked up a small handful of coupons for $1 off of Wheat Thins, something both Z and I like. The coupon will expire in two months and is not doubleable so I only grabbed a few. Okay, I grabbed eight instead of twenty. These coupons are going to come in handy in this week's Safeway sale! We can get Wheat Thins at $1.49 a box if we buy five at a time. Between the sale price and our coupons, we will pay $2.45 for five boxes of something that we really like. If I time the grocery shopping adventure just right, we will get cashier who thinks I'm cute and will double my coupons, anyways, bringing the total to $0.45.

Take advantage of traveling. Check out the grocery stores while you are in new places. Not only will you see what is popular in other places, you might find products you've never seen before, good and bad. And you just might find different coupons!!! About two years ago, Z was on a work trip in Washington. He found a display pad of coupons for Starkist Tuna pouches. He doesn't eat fish but he knew that this was my favorite brand of tuna so he grabbed all of the coupons. I know, we're not the nicest couponers. We held onto those coupons for a long time. Right before they were to expire, there was an amazing sale plus a catalina deal at one of the grocery stores in town. Not only did I get 113 free pouches of tuna that was not going to expire for two to three years, we made $11 with the catalinas. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment