Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Tale of the Quiche that Wanted to be a Spinach Pie



A few weeks ago, I spent some time visiting my family in Wyoming. My dad is a wonderful cook and an expert at cooking...STEAK. Steak and potatoes are awesome but not every day, or at least I think I don't think so. While I am visiting, I cook something new for my folks that is more in line with what I eat at home on a regular basis. Luckily for me, mushrooms and eggs (.99/dozen!) were on sale while I was there. I had been thinking about making quiche for awhile so this was the perfect opportunity.

I had found a recipe for a casserole in Vegetarian Times December 2009. I wasn't too interested in the casserole. I did think the crust they made for it had lots of potential. I am always on the hunt for a crust that doesn't involve too much butter or shortening. Since it is not my recipe, I don't feel like I should post it. Here is a link to the recipe, though. http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/11149?section=

I found that refrigerating the dough before pressing it into my baking dish made it easier to work with. It wouldn't be enough dough for a larger pan without some adjustments. I enjoyed it and thought it worked well for what I needed.

For the filling, I sauteed mushrooms with garlic and green onions (they were on sale too). I used frozen spinach that I had thawed and squeezed out as much moisture as I could. I used about 10 ounces of spinach, the amount in a box of frozen spinach. I mixed the spinach and mushroom mixture together with lots of pepper and salt. Then placed it evenly on my crust. I thought for my little dish, four eggs would be plenty. I beat the eggs in a bowl then poured them over the vegetables and made sure they were covered by the eggs. I didn't feel like adding any cheese this time. I popped the quiche into the oven which had been preheated to 375 degrees. I took it out when the middle wasn't jiggly anymore.

I let it cool down a little before cutting into it. I was so excited to try my quiche. There was so much spinach that it wasn't a quiche. It tasted great! Next time, I am going to use three eggs. All the veggies will be held together but I don't think you will be able to tell that there are eggs in it at all. If Z doesn't notice and still eats it, I will have been successful. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment