Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Zucchini Fries: Baked and Fried

 
When you are cheap and it's summer, you eat a LOT of zucchini. If you grow zucchini yourself, you just might have a gluttony of home-grown zucchini. Or in my case, I buy the largest zucchini I can at the Corvallis Farmer's Market for $0.50 each.

I have a few different recipes that use zucchini:
I have a new recipe, Zucchini Fries. The other day I shared my first attempt at zucchini fries. I thought the crunchy outside was just too much for the simple zucchini. I made a small adjustment, omitting the flour coating and adding a splash of water to the egg to make it less goopy.

 Z. and I then cooked the zucchini fries, baked and fried. The breading didn't entirely stay on the fried version but that batch had a nice, almost smoky flavor the baked fries lacked. I do have to say, baking the zucchini was super simple and required minimal attention. Feel free to add your favorite seasonings to the breading. I kept it simple with Italian season, salt, and pepper. Enjoy this easy and tasty side dish!

Baked Zucchini Fries

by Ace Nation
Ingredients
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • About 2 cups zucchini sticks
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup dry fine bread crumbs, or more as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine egg and water. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
Pour bread crumbs into a second bowl and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Set aside.
Dip zucchini sticks into egg wash and coat. Shake excess egg off before placing in the bread crumbs. Coat the sticks with the bread crumbs, carefully shaking off excess. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Spray the top of the zucchini with a thin layer of nonstick cooking spray.
Cook until brown and tender, about 10-12 minutes. Serve warm with dipping sauce of your choice.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment