Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Eggs, Part 2: Scramble


Scramble or omelet. Call it what you may. When I'm being dainty, I have the correct vegetable to egg ratio to keep the eggs together. The rest of the time, I have too much stuff in the pan and I end up with a scramble.

There is still a possibility of an omelet!
The omelet holds a dear place in my heart. It was the first dish I ever learned how to cook and my daddy taught it to me. My favorite version (and the recipe I have included) is still pretty similar to those first omelets I learned how to make.

I hate slimy eggs so I cook both sides. Guess I will just enjoy a scramble.
Scrambles have become a favorite dinner. Z. and I are the masters of meals that take an hour so to cook, so I appreciate this meal for its quick cooking time. What takes the most time is cutting vegetables and cooking the onions. Chopping vegetables is meditation for me, so I don't mind that part. Onions take awhile to cook, about 10 minutes just to get translucent onions on medium-low to medium heat. If you want a really quick meal, don't add onions. In this one instance, my feelings won't be hurt.


I have so many different variations of the scramble to share with you that I am going to give the scramble variations their very own post. Check back to see what my favorite ingredient is in a scramble. You just might be surprised!

Ace's Favorite Scramble

by Ace Nation
Ingredients (serves 1)
  • 1-2 teaspoons canola oil
  • 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup crimini mushrooms, stems included, diced
  • 1/4 cup summer squash (yellow squash or zucchini), chopped
  • 1/2 cup peppers, such as bell pepper or Italian sweet peppers, seeds removed and diced
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1-2 teaspoons milk or 1/2 & 1/2
  • 3-4 fresh basil leaves, if available, torn into pieces
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions
In a bowl, beat the eggs and milk or 1/2 & 1/2. Season with salt, pepper, and basil if using. Set aside.
In a non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
Add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, cook until onion becomes translucent, 5-7 minutes.
Add remaining vegetables, stirring occasionally, cook until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add egg mixture to pan. Very gently, stir when the eggs have begun to set up. Cook until eggs are desired consistency. Serve immediately.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage


No comments:

Post a Comment