Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Leftover Power: Eggs Simmered in Tomato Sauce

Yes, I overcooked my eggs by a small amount! Please don't judge...too harshly.


After creating Mexican Casserole with diced tomatoes, I tried a variation with tomato sauce. I purposefully kept some of the sauce to the side to see if I could do something interesting with the leftovers.

I have to admit this isn't quite a full recipe yet. I used leftovers because I wasn't convinced that going to all the trouble of creating tomato sauce just to cook some eggs in would be worth the time. Read on to uncover my verdict.

One recipe that I had never tried before was eggs baked in tomato sauce. I cooked my in the skillet since I was just cooking for one. Since I couldn't stir the sauce while the eggs were cooking, the eggs of the sauce did get a little brown. Maybe I had the heat a little too high?

This was still a great meal! I had previously thought that eggs and tomatoes would not really go to together. Turns out, all those recipes for eggs and tomato sauce that I have seen in tons of cookbooks are there for a reason.

My tomato sauce had lots of onions and garlic. The other vegetables were jalapeno, bell pepper, corn, and black beans. I spiced this version with smoked paprika and cumin.

I put the sauce in a small non-stick skillet, heated it up over medium until bubbling, stirring occasionally. Once bubbling, I cracked two eggs over the top and placed a lid on the pan. I have no idea how long the eggs cooked. I cooked them until they looked how I like them. For someone who has tried again and again to poach eggs unsuccessfully, this technique is a great alternative to poaching.

This is what I started with.

If you feel like you need some proportions or would like to see some recipes, here are a few that I found that I thought looked yummy:
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment