Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Croutons


I promised my crouton recipe ages ago. I thought I was really something with my croutons but after posting my tomato soup recipe, I became self-conscious about sharing something as basic as croutons. Some time has passed, I've done a little more research, and yes, the world needs my crouton recipe. Here's why:
  • Some folks will try to pass toasted bread off as croutons. When I think of croutons, I think of something that if I ate with my fingers, I would need a napkin.
  • Many recipes call for melted butter or cheese. Don't get me wrong, that sounds delicious but I have had great success with my simple recipe.
  • Warm croutons make the meal feel very special and that you went the extra mile. The hardest part about making croutons is making sure they don't burn.

You really can use whatever bread you want. These are hoagie rolls.


What's my secret to amazing croutons? I have two. First, I use whatever bread is convenient. Sandwich bread works just fine, especially if it's one of the heartier breads with lots of nuts and seeds. Secondly and most importantly, make sure each piece of bread is well coated with the olive oil. This is what my croutons taste decadent and special. Enjoy!


Cheap not Frugal Eats Croutons

by Ace Nation
Ingredients
  • Bread of your choice, cubed into bite-size chunks
  • Olive oil
  • Dried herbs of your choice, such as basil, oregano, parsley, or Italian seasoning
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients, be sure to season the bread well. Add enough olive oil to thoroughly coat each piece of bread.
Evenly spread bread on a baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes, precise time depends on your oven, until lightly golden brown.
Enjoy!
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment